Smokey Mountain Cell Coverage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I am going to be in Cades Cove in the Smokey Mountains in October. I am putting together a cell router and exterior antenna package right now, but I am worried that even with an external antenna I won't be able to work (I am a teacher). Has anyone tried getting signal in Cades Cove? Do you know how to find out how far cell towers are from a location? TIA

Like everything else, there's an app for that. However to use an app, you have to have signal
Now if you don't want to put a gazillion apps on your phone,
use this link here to see if your provider has coverage and cell towers in the area you are going, before you get there.

https://www.cellmapper.net

You put your provider name and look at the area you will be landing and the direction and distance of the antennae relative to you.

And have a great trip.

I go to the Smoky Mountains several times a year and cell service is hit and miss. On a scale from 1 to 5, I give it a 1. I have Verizon service and usually get one bar... AT&T towers are rare.

I have a Wilson cell booster.... it helps a little, but what works best for me is a YAGI directional antenna on a 25' pole.

Let me say that on the main road cell service is better, but I tend to travel to the remote area's often. I will up my rating scale to a 2 where I go.

Camper said:
I go to the Smoky Mountains several times a year and cell service is hit and miss. On a scale from 1 to 5, I give it a 1.  I have Verizon service and usually get one bar... AT&T towers are rare.

I have a Wilson cell booster.... it helps a little, but what works best for me is a YAGI directional antenna on a 25'  pole.

Thank you! I have the YAGI antenna and pole in my amazon cart with a wifi router that I can attach the antenna to directly. I hope it will work. If not, I may have to find wifi to work. The other thing I am trying to figure out is if solar will give me anything that time of year in Cades Cove :) I have a little 160 watt suitcase, but I doubt the sun is that great that time of year. If I could just unplug for those few days, I would :)

There's great internet service in Pigeon Forge and dozens of campgrounds too. You might consider staying there and driving into Cades Cove on day trips.