Cell coverage practically anywhere?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelgianPup

Reaction score
Several years ago a reputable electronics freak told me that he carries 2 cell phones, a Verizon and a TracFone.

He said that Verizon has cell towers in all of the populated areas, but he still found himself in areas with no signal.  (He travelled A LOT.)

Then he learned to carry a TracFone, too..... because TracFone doesn't own any towers.  They simply rent use of other companies' towers.

That meant that if he was out in the boonies and broke down,  or came across an accident, or someone with a medical emergency, and he couldn't get a Verizon signal, he could grab the TracFone.

He said that he hadn't found a place where he couldn't get through on one or the other.

He said he didn't have to use the TracFone often, so he bought their annual coverage, as the monthly payment coverage 'evaporated' at the end of the month, if not used, and the annual arrangement rolls each month over into the next if it isn't used.

Now, *I* am a Dumb Bunny when it come to electronics.  Could anyone out there tell me if this arrangement is still in effect, and still useful?

Thanks!

The Trac phone was probably on the AT&T network. Just because it worked for your buddy doesn't mean the coverage is 100%. there are places were no cell phones work. So yes having both Verizon and AT&T expands your coverage but there is still no guaranty. Highdesertranger

It's a good idea to have at least 2. For years I had just a T-Mobile and there were many areas where it didn't work. Then I got a Tracfone and coverage improved but in some places the 15 yo Nokia on T-Mobile will work and the TF won't. The old TM phone even worked in Canada but was $1/minute. Just recently I got my first smart phone mainly for use as a hotspot with Visible (Verizon). The data speeds aren't so great for streaming but for use as a phone it's fine.

Sometimes getting a connection is a matter of moving a few hundred yards. A friend lives in a town where the signal is spotty for half the town even though there's a cell tower on the mountain. A cliff blocks blocks the signal unless you go down the road a bit.

I have a TracPhone, a Verizon hot spot and a T-mobile hot spot, along with a directional antenna and a booster. I usually get a signal, but I've been to a lot of those holes you see in coverage maps. No signals from anyone.

Tracphone can 'piggyback' on AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon...and probably a few other regional carriers...and depending on the plan and the phone, usually only ONE of those networks, not all of them.

So if you had an AT&T phone and a Tracphone on AT&T, and you were somewhere that had no AT&T coverage (The Black Hills of SD years ago for example) you might be out of luck.

But if your phones were each on a separate network, (or you have a dual SIM phone) that doubles your chances of being able to make or receive calls and use cellular data wherever you happen to be.

May sound silly, but you can sit/stand on your van roof in an emergency. It might get you a bit of extra elevation to get signal. For emergency use only.

The Verizon signal drops off about a mile north of the "Welcome to Pahrump" sign on NV-160. The highway curves to the left and a massive rock formation blocks the signals.

Those "holes in coverage" are places where one is more likely to have the place to themselves.