Small woodstove project

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malibusurfer

Reaction score
Tinkering with a small wood stove. Yup, had a old small propane tank laying around and started cutting and welding...Would be more for a stepvan or bigger bus, etc.... Too big for my van, but if I had to use it, I could... Need a big bigger exhaust pipe, but she does work!!!
View attachment 1871

Yup. Funny I was thinking about how to make a twist air regulator with holes, or a swing away one, but that cap has a magnet attached to it, so I can move it anywhere to get just the right amount of air in.... It is a big thick magnet. Seems to work great.... Sometimes it's better to just be lucky.... Had it laying around and it fits perfect!!! :)
My exhaust will need to be at least 2 1/2" or 3" to work properly, even with just twigs and small branches.... It is 1.75" o.d and just too small.

your stove pipe needs to be 3" or 4" for that size stove. that way you can use store bought stove pipe also. 3" is hard to find but 4" is pretty common. you also need a damper in the exhaust pipe about 18" up, and don't forget the spark arrestor. good luck it looks like you have a good start. I love wood stoves and am going to look at one this weekend. highdesertranger

I remember someone posting they had one and used it often....even while driving...yikes. He had it burning when he pulled in to shop at a Walmart. Almost a huge mistake because when he came out the van was surrounded by firemen ready to break in and put out what they thought was a vehicle fire. A minute or two later and the van would have been destroyed by the firemen.

yeah before moving your fire must be dead cold. like you can stick your hand in the ashes, just like when you leave a camp fire. highdesertranger

Nice stoves. First looks like factory. Second more artsy. A company I worked had greenbrier vans as service trucks, The 14 inch rear tires would freeze to the ground and come loose from the rims when starting out on a cold morning. Many a cold trip with an air tank for me.

Teskimo said:
Over in Australia, we cut the propane bottles down as well. We use them as heater/cookers.
The "Choofer" looks like this: http://www.aplaceinthesun.com.au/Choofer.html

Been thinking along those lines I have a donor, pushing pencils so long my welding skills have all but vanished along with the welder. I like the idea of a portable fireplace/stove/cooker /smoker

Anybody know if it's possible to make a wood burner out of something really small... like a coffee can? Something that could be used safely in a regular van? Just burn little twigs...

Saw on youtube some videos of guys making old military ammo cans into little burners... Lots of stuff on youtube if ya search. Anything is possible with a grinder / plasma cutter and a welder. Only thing I would be concerned about building it ( everyone else has already posted safety issues ) is thickness of steel. The thicker, the longer it will last - and some peace of mind, lol.....

yeah there is a company that makes them out of ammo cans. just remember you need a certain distance from combustibles, that is what makes it difficult in a van. highdesertranger

If it was me, I would build a metal box on all 3 sides of the stove and bottom (maybe even put some cement board on it). It does not take long to heat up that small of a space. Biggest challenge is getting venting and exhaust to work correctly (and trying to be stealth if that's your plan with a chimney) so when you open the door, you don't smoke yourself put of your own rig ( or look like your "hot box'ing :)

For my van, I am looking at the idea of cutting a propane bottle in 1/2 and turn it into a small "woodstove" and using pre- made aluminum cans filled with cardboard and paraffin wax ( old Boyscout trick ) and light that and set it in my stove. My van interior is so small it might be able to burn at a lower temp (as I usually get cooked too hot too fast with my Heater Buddy) and burn for much longer to keep a more constant temp for many more hours... Going to start some tests on a tuna fish can, work up to a regular size aluminum can to maybe even a coffee can, etc..., and see how long I can get them to burn and some temps..... What I like is cans are free after you eat out of them and you can re-use, cardboard is free, and paraffin wax is relatively cheap ( melt $1 store candles or yards sales, etc).... Just thinking out loud :)