Small shower insert kit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarmiker

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve never built a shower or anything like that so please forgive wrong terminology. I want to build the smallest shower possible. I was thinking 27 x 27 or smaller. have been trying to find a complete 3 sided insert kit with or without the floor pan attached. 

Thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

I ended up building the last one used a hot water heater drip pan as it was made to go in a corner and if I remember right 30" per side but I believe they come smaller.

Hey bullfrog,

Thanks for the idea. I do really hope I don’t need to modify something. I want the quick and easy solution because I’m lazy and have terrible skills, LOL..

Thanks

people use Hoola Hoops with a shower curtain. then they take it down when done, would something like that work. highdesertranger

Oscarmiker said:
Hey bullfrog,

Thanks for the idea. I do really hope I don’t need to modify something. I want the quick and easy solution because I’m lazy and have terrible skills, LOL..

Thanks

highdesertranger said:
people use Hoola Hoops with a shower curtain.  then they take it down when done,  would something like that work.  highdesertranger

Hey Ranger,

I had considered that but I have the real estate for a permanent set-up and decided to go that route. If i was doing a van or the like i would absolutely utilize a hoop system. 

Thank very much for taking the time to help..

James

"RV shower pan" copy and paste those keywords for internet searches. You won't have any trouble finding what you need if you use the right keywords. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

You will need to do an addition search for wall panels, they do not come with the RV shower pans. That is because there are way too many variations of sizes in RV bathrooms and there is not a good one size fits all solution.

You are not going to have a lot of luck trying to find a kit with walls and the pan from stores such asvHome Depot. A house with a tiny shower stall you have no room to move around in is not something any stick and brick home owner wants to have. The smallest standard home store shower is 32 x 32.

Ebay is a good source for an "RV shower pan"
For your convenience here is a link to that search criteria
https://www.ebay.com/bhp/rv-shower-pan

When you look at the images you will notice that there is a flange on some of the sides, That is so you can have the waterproof wall covering come down over that flange to keep the water from going behind the paneling. Knowing how to install the wall paneling is important. Be sure you use the right kind of adhesive, some construction adhesives are not compatible with all types of shower wall and pan materials so do read the installation instructions very carefully.

Note that some of them have a pre-drilled hole for the drain and others do not have the drain hole drilled. The predrilled option has an advantage in that the metal pieces for the drain end up being flush with the inside of the pan and the pan may be sloped down to that point to help eliminate standing water. But sometimes because of various framing members and "stuff" below the area of the shower you may want to locate the drain yourself.

Note that some of them are made with Styrene types of plastics and others are made with ABS. The ABS is the stronger plastic.

Note that some of them have a riser spot for a toilet that can drain into a black water holding tank. You likely won't be needing one of those unless you are putting a black tank that can hold toilet waste underneath your RV.

Hope that give you enough information to help you find the perfect shower pan. If you can't figure it out then hire a handyman to install it for you. Do the parts of the labor you are comfortable with and leave the rest to someone else.

Hey maki2,

Thank you very much for the incredibly detailed reply. I will search as suggested and will be careful to get ABS. Your caution about the drain and possibility of something underneath is definitely noted.

Thank you very much for taking the time and providing all of the information.

best bet is hit an rv store online. rv parts store has shower pans and surrounds that go with them. I doubt you will find an 'entact attached done' shower under size 32x32. for smaller you usually have to get the pan and buy surround separate, if you get the 3 sided surround, for being a smaller shower in the 27x27 range....you can get that shower curtain rod that extends out and then pushes back in out of the way. Gives you way more room to maneuver and tucks back in when not in use. best of luck to you :)