small hard sided trailer vs class B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bast

Reaction score
Hi 
I have another strange newbie question. I hope I am not bothering people with to many of them. I thought I had decided on a class b v (probably a Roadtrek) However, a friend suggested a hard sided pop-up. There are several advantages I see with this kind of rig. 1)One they may be easier for my handicapped sister to get around in. 2) Many of them come already wired for solar. 3) They have most of the amenities of a Roadtrek. (Minus shower and bathroom, which doesn't bother me.) However when dry camping can you set them up in a WalMart parking lot or a Rest Stop. Does anyone know?

Also I am a afraid to tow anything. I have never done it. I could I suppose take towing lessons. What do people think?
Bast

I don't personally prefer towing a house in most applications. It restricts where you can legally park, you cannot pass from the cab to the house without being conspicuous, and you're conspicuous to begin with because you're towing something and because it requires set-up in order to inhabit. When you have it popped up, it tells everyone "I'm in here." If you're the type to go to campgrounds that may not be a concern. If you plan to stay other places (which it sounds like you do, with the mention of Wal-Mart) then this may be a factor. You also lose storage space on the walls with a pop-up because the walls move.

A Class B van, or similar, is static. You can walk from the front to the back and it looks the same whether you're parked to get groceries or parked to sleep.

Sometimes a pop-up is cheaper and a person already has the tow vehicle and it works for them. If that's the case then I'm not telling you don't do it. But I don't see advantages to the setup.

Floor plans, layouts, and amenities mean everything. I wouldn't rule out class B+, C, or even A's either.

Take your sister with you, and envision yourselves trapped inside for a week or more. It happens. How comfortable will you both be? I like to use that for a measuring stick.