Small Class C Boondocking Experiences

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboHounds

Reaction score
<p>Does any one have experience with boondocking on public land in small (22-24ft) class c rv?&nbsp; I am&nbsp;interested in getting to remote locations (in mountains and/or desert) away from people.&nbsp; However, I'm concerned that a class c will greatly limit how remote I can go due to height, ground clearance, etc. and will only leave me with the option of camping in less desirable locations.&nbsp; So my question is...is there anybody out there who can&nbsp;either validate&nbsp;or disprove my worries?&nbsp; <br><br></p>

&nbsp;Yup, you'll be considerably more limited.. but there are lots of areas that you can still get to. Me, despite really luvvin' the larger rigs (step vans, Winnie's, small buses), I stuck with a 4x4 and a 9 1/2' camper for the winter and will drop it sometime in the late spring in lieu of a camperette or canopy. That setup takes me into some gawdawful remote and difficult to get to areas. ..Willy.

I boondock in a 28' class A.&nbsp; While there are many places I can't go, there are many places I can.&nbsp; Look at my blog if you want to see some places I've been.

&nbsp;Good advice from Willy. I think the ideal vehicle for getting far back in the wilderness is Whazoo's ( RVNet trip report -<a href="http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26583788.cfm" rel="nofollow"> http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26583788.cfm</a> - warning-lots of pictures) - a 4x4 with a popup trick camper. He can go almost everywhere with the 4x4 and the pop up keeps the center of gravity and the height low.<br><br>&nbsp;But unless you really want to get really remote you'll still be able to find good boondocking spots with a class C. There aren't many options in the east but once you're west of the Missouri River things get a lot better. Forest land has less underbrush and larger trees so it's easier to find spots and BLM desert land is pretty much wide open.

We will definitely be boondocking out west since we're starting from Washington, so it's good to know that there are still many possibilities for semi-remote locations to stay in a class c.

blars,<br><br>Looks like you can still find some great places for boondocking despite the size of your rig.&nbsp; That gives me hope!

How do you find places? Do you do your research, or just get lost?&nbsp;

you can go allot of places with a class c and you can get stuck in allot of places with a class c.&nbsp; be smart go slow and learn, &nbsp;what you can or can't do.&nbsp; better yet go with an experienced person.&nbsp; I have pulled out a couple class c's and a class a.&nbsp; I have notice that sand is the biggest obstacle, &nbsp;but it is for any 2wd,&nbsp; then mud, and you must take into account low hanging plumbing etc.&nbsp; my advice go slow at first and have a great time.&nbsp; highdesertranger

I boondock in my smallish Class C.&nbsp; Height has not been an issue but ground clearance has.&nbsp; If a road looks questionable, I'll hike it first to assess its viability.&nbsp; Also--and this is important!--I avoid dirt roads if rain is likely.&nbsp; Four-wheel drive would be a big plus but I'm not willing to spend the money converting an older motorhome.&nbsp;