Arizona Boondocker With 2 Little Dogs Seeks Friends

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorcamogirl

Reaction score
Great to find this forum! I have been evolving in to an individual that is thinking more seriously about the RV lifestyle- at least, part time. I have been following my path over the past few years- becoming debt free, selling off my overload of accumulations from the past 20 years- I am self employed and have scaled back on my work schedule to only 3 days a week and am excited about where I am headed(although I am not completely sure what that looks like yet)….I have spent the last 25 years of my life as a business and property owner in the southern Arizona desert running a giant breed dog rescue and have passed the torch on to a married couple that I know- I have one senior giant dog of my own left that ties me to my old grounded life where I could hardly ever get away. I have acquired two smaller, more portable RV hiking dogs......I have a 22' vintage travel trailer that I have remodeled and it is just as cute and cozy as can be and although I LOVE my big old goofy rescue dog I am also looking forward to a time when I can throw my 2 little dogs in the back seat of my pickup with my little home on wheels in tow and lock the gate behind me- What a liberating notion! I will be headed for the PINES- I have 4 free days out of each week to do what I want without any encumbrances what-so-ever......I am so burned out on the desert....I long for the mountain landscape and coolness during the "Fry your Butt" dreadful summers. I have always been a loner and a homebody.....I love to read hike and explore with my 2 little dogs- I am interested in things like living off the land, foraging for food, target shooting....but the idea of taking things on the road to do this alone in remote boondocking areas of Northern AZ is a little intimidating....although I don't mind spending days alone at my home base property just puttering, I have noticed that the times I have actually camped alone in my little travel trailer I get a little restless....or- EGADS, is it lonliness??…. I have noticed since I am out of my comfort zone and am not sure what to do with myself....

Surely, there must be others that have experienced this phenomena- I am tired to the rat race, social media and the complicated political stupidity and drama that society seems to be addicted to- I am looking forward to being the master of my own simple life- I want to live life on my terms, work less and laugh a WHOLE LOT MORE! Looking to connect with others that can identify with my position....make friends and maybe chat about some remote wooded camping locations in northern AZ....even though I don't know exactly what the road ahead looks like, I am confident I am headed in the right direction! Would love to hear from other like minded individuals!

Hi Outdoorcamogirl and welcome. You sound pretty great! Love your intro and the idea of portable doggies is hilarious. I imagine you will have no problem finding nice people to hang with. Best of luck with everything!

Welcome to the CRVL forums outdoorcamogirl! I love pines myself. To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Great story of all your transitions ... and look at you now! Way to go!
I recently joined this forum (a few weeks ago) with a similar realization you mentioned you had with yourself. That idea of "restlessness." I'm from Chicago, in the heart of people and noise congestion but near the beautiful Lake which is my favorite part of Chicago. I love it, but I'm tired of city. I've also experienced minimalism and I love that too. I think nomads deal with restlessness by packing up and then finding a location where there is activity.
I hope the best for you and your dogs!
Cheers!

Check out the caravan section of this forum and the website. There are 4 caravans running for the next 3 months and beyond that will be following the seasons to cooler / higher elevations as things heat up. One of them is for just women if you are interested. Somewhere between 20-50 campers each. You can join any group you like and leave anytime you like.

Hang around here and you will find good info and people. If you do Facebook there is a group Women’s RTR and Beyond and bunches of other Van groups. You’ll find some you like

Greetings Outdoorcamogirl and fellow Arizonian!
You and I certainly have common motivations to embrace the nomad life and similar intentions on our ways to do that although I may be visualizing more remote boondocking most of the time.
I've recently been thinking of learning more about foraging native flora so that too resonates with me.
I should be on the road in a few days but my rig is much more a work in progress than yours probably but I can't get it done here living in an apt and no one to help so off I will go living in the Cathedral of Nature's Wonder and crossing paths with kindred spirits.

Godspeed

Wabbit said:
Hi Outdoorcamogirl and welcome. You sound pretty great! Love your intro and the idea of portable doggies is hilarious. I imagine you will have no problem finding nice people to hang with. Best of luck with everything!

Thanks so much for your positive reply!! Would have replied sooner but can't figure out why I am not receiving notifications that I have a reply to my post.....Onward....the discovery of my new life!! Thanks to all!!

Srae29 said:
Great story of all your transitions ... and look at you now! Way to go!
I recently joined this forum (a few weeks ago) with a similar realization you mentioned you had with yourself. That idea of "restlessness." I'm from Chicago, in the heart of people and noise congestion but near the beautiful Lake which is my favorite part of Chicago. I love it, but I'm tired of city. I've also experienced minimalism and I love that too. I think nomads deal with restlessness by packing up and then finding a location where there is activity.
I hope the best for you and your dogs!
Cheers!

Hey thanks for your reply!! It is amazing how the influence of life experience can change a person.....although I can do without the wrinkles and grey hairs, I am exciting about where I am headed!! Sounds like you are on a similar path!! Best of luck to you and your discovery!

MaTaLa said:
Greetings Outdoorcamogirl and fellow Arizonian!
You and I certainly have common motivations to embrace the nomad life and similar intentions on our ways to do that although I may be visualizing more remote boondocking most of the time.
I've recently been thinking of learning more about foraging native flora so that too resonates with me.
I should be on the road in a few days but my rig is much more a work in progress than yours probably but I can't get it done here living in an apt and no one to help so off I will go living in the Cathedral of Nature's Wonder and crossing paths with kindred spirits.

Godspeed

Thanks for the reply!!

Best of luck on your road of self discovery....we are all in it together!!

kygreg said:
Check out the caravan section of this forum and the website. There are 4 caravans running for the next 3 months and beyond that will be following the seasons to cooler / higher elevations as things heat up. One of them is for just women if you are interested. Somewhere between 20-50 campers each. You can join any group you like and leave anytime you like.

Thanks very much for the suggestions....since I still have to be in southern AZ 3 days a week to run my business, that may limit me a bit....but I will be watching the caravans to keep track of what is going on!! Thanks!!

In your title you mentioned your looking for friends. I guess some time ago I stopped wondering if I have friends. Instead I try to be a friend to whoever I meet even it's only in passing. Seems like I'm always making new friends. Practice living in the moment. If everything is scheduled it stops being an adventure. Things can and will go wrong. They make the best stories