small AC cooling without hookup.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a 2nd generation Prius to power my rig.

Last edited:
^^^I have thought about it for several years but what made me go with generators was the fact an older Prius, which would be all I could afford, even with the lift kit doesn’t have enough ground clearance or 4 wheel drive and would have to be trailered (dolly) or driven. Really so far we have managed to get by working summers where a full hookup site was available. It seems at least once or twice a year we get caught on roads that would be impassable with anything less than a high clearance 4 wheel drive.

Using an AC to cool the front seat of a car at a reasonable price makes me think vanvanvanvan123 may not have the bucks to go out and buy another car, Prius or otherwise.

how expensive a battery or series of to power a small AC unit for front seat of a car?

And what they really want is a way to stay cool while driving...? Because the vehicle AC doesn't work?

For a nomad camper, finding a good climate for the summer is the ticket. High altitude, dry air, parking in the shade, are the best ways to deal with heat.

But driving can be uncomfortable even then, when you need to go down to town, or drive through the low desert to get places. There are 12v evaporation coolers, but all the cheap ones get terrible reviews.

I think for driving, a couple of fans blowing right on you and a cooling car seat with fans, would be the way to go. There are many models of those that work well, and are easily powered while driving. If that sounds appealing we can discuss specifics.

It really is simple, the technology is not developed enough to allow enough solar panels and batteries to be efficiently transported to run an air conditioner throughout the entire day or week with even some clouds, in an area the size of most vehicles for solar panels. If you need to run an air conditioner a Prius (hybrid) is a very efficient car and generator that can do that. Even with solar panels covering the roof of both camper and tow vehicle and one of them being somewhat adjustable you will still experience times when you need additional power in my opinion. You might run the AC a few hours a day during the sunny hottest times of day to make it bearable but not when ever you might be just uncomfortable.
I've seen bullfrog make this comment on more than one discussion thread and it's really the best take for now. Viewed more than one Youtube video where someone was sleeping in a Prius (one of their plug-in hybrid models, if I recall), set the automatics climate control to a certain temp & the AC ran off batteries until they needed charging. Then the car started the gas engine automatically, recharged the batteries, and shut off. Worked all night and just barely sipped gas.

The only "solar + batteries" setup I've seen that could run an AC continuously was a custom built travel trailer that had 7 kW of solar panels on the roof and a massive LiFePO battery bank. Nice if you can afford it, but...

And what they really want is a way to stay cool while driving...? Because the vehicle AC doesn't work?

For a nomad camper, finding a good climate for the summer is the ticket. High altitude, dry air, parking in the shade, are the best ways to deal with heat.

But driving can be uncomfortable even then, when you need to go down to town, or drive through the low desert to get places. There are 12v evaporation coolers, but all the cheap ones get terrible reviews.

I think for driving, a couple of fans blowing right on you and a cooling car seat with fans, would be the way to go. There are many models of those that work well, and are easily powered while driving. If that sounds appealing we can discuss specifics.
Here's another vote for a good fan. I have one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-CR1-0253-06-Small-Whole-Circulator/dp/B01BF3XTX0/

My 1000w Jackery will run it all night, with some left in the morning. Doesn't keep me chilled the way an A/C would - just comfortable - well into the 90s. I've tried smaller fans, but I had this one left from living in my apartment, so I tried it and am glad I didn't get rid of it!

I can recharge my Jackery with a 12v charger supplied by my rooftop solar panel.

Latest posts