Slider or swing door?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found the sliders to be really heavy and cumbersome to close, usually takes me more than one try, and I'm always afraid I'm going to slam my hand in them somehow. A remote option would definitely be better, but overall I think I'd just choose the barn doors.

Having had sliders on my work vans when i was a phone guy, it was definitely a help in tight parking spots.
My current personal van is a slider as well, but when i bought it either would have been fine.

That being said, if i was looking for another van, i would opt for the barn doors...especially for camping/dwelling....a little velcro and cloth with open barn doors equals nice little private space for shower, dressing, etc.

When we were researching and shopping for a van back in fall of 2010 I had one real focus and that was an AWD full size platform as we'd had Volvo XC wagons in the driveway for years. So that limited the possibilities to a full size GMC/Chevy 1500. Looking at what was available on West Coast dealer inventory I found 2 Chevy cargo vans with sliders and two GMC with barn doors. I went with a local chevy fleet dealer i'd known for ~20 years and he had our Chevy brought in from Idaho i think...
The GMC dealer in Portland that had the two GMC AWDs was a PITA and would not budge on price because they were the only ones left on the west coast at that time...but at over 5K above what my friend got the same van but with a Chevy badge and a slider for.

Sometimes ya just gotta go with what feels right at the time. I don't think we would have gotten $5K in more joy factor over the lifetime of the rig. We've never had an issue with ours except for the noise issue being sort of an embarrassment early or late in the day.

My van only comes with a slider. I like the tight parking angle as well. It is noisy and creates more maintenance issues. I would prefer barn doors for listed reasons and the biggest would be storage and function. I love my van and would not be without the truck front and full floor boards, ( size 13"s) that make trips very nice. I just hope Nissan will come around to the barn door setup.

Swing doors are really nice and the door locks make a pleasant sound , I always worry about slaming my hand in a slide door for some reason

Patrick46 said:
I have a friend who has a Chevy super-extended cargo van for sale, (ex-carpet van, in very nice condition) in that same vintage and price range as the one's you've posted. I think he may be a 'motivated seller' too.

I think it may have the barn-type doors, but I can't say for sure. (I DO prefer barn doors myself, but it's usually not a deal breaker for me.)

Would you like for me to give him a call, and see if he's still selling??

Nah, just found out I'll probably be out of work shortly...But thanks anyway.....good thing my van is paid for....

I'd rather hear the sound of a slider way way before a generator, amplified music, drunken neighbors, screaming banshees or a pizzed off kraken. That's just me.

It really comes down to personal preference, how you use your van and where you tend to park most.  Boondockers will generally prefer barn doors, city dwellers dealing with tight parking would generally prefer sliders.  But sometimes we take what is on the vehicle with the best deal in price and condition.