Lost a Shuttle Bus deal. Lucky or not?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailer-t

Reaction score
I saw a craigslist ad on a shuttle bus locally--about 14 seat+/-.  It was a 1999 Ford E350 cab (I think)--no CDL needed.  It had 65,000 miles and was owned previously by an elderly facility or retirement community of some sort. It was about a 24 footer with a wheel chair lift and new battery and tires for $3000.  I was very tempted to buy it if it checked out mechanically.  I had actually called my insurance guy first,  and he said that said it could be insured without a commercial policy for liability coverage only for $400 per year under a quote he got??    Anyway it sold before I could see it. :( vs :D ?

Seller represented it had no leaks in or under the vehicle.  V-10  Ford gas engine.     According to the seller who called me back after it sold, it was bought for/by someone that was without a home presently, for him/her to live in permanently so I am glad they got it instead.  The Seller was a service guy from a bus dealership?  I was not really wanting to change from my cargo trailer camper and Suburban camper anyway,  but the shuttle looked interesting, and there are some others around here.    I read some threads on these, but the price looked like a steal compared to the regular cargo van prices around southern Illinois.  Any comments on the good and bad on these Shuttles.  I am curious if I missed out on a good deal IF the Bus was as represented.     Thank you for any opinions on the values and problems to look for on older shuttles.  Thanks, T

I personally would stay away from all gasoline Ford v-8's and v-10's from1997 until 2008. and all diesels after the 7.3 which is 2004 and up. highdesertranger

Thanks highdesertranger , I personally am not a Ford lover myself, but what is the main deal breaker on the V10 for over 10 years?
That seems like a pretty broad timeline so something must be inherently wrong? T

spitting out spark plugs, that would destroy the head. then Ford tried to fix it with 2 piece spark plugs and made matters worse. this is a problem with all the Trident V-8's over that 10 year period. they didn't all have the problem but it was kinda a crap shoot you just never knew if and when they were going to blow. BTW Ford was well aware of this problem from the start but chose to drag it on and on. it even pissed their mechanics off because of what the were paying them for the fix and the mechanics blew the whistle on Ford. also a lot of independent mechanics do a mickey mouse fix which a lot of times does more harm than good. highdesertranger

Unless you are a Sheikh from an OPEC country, I would look for something that won't require your first born as collateral for your fuel bill.

Might be OK to live in, but not the best for on the road mileage.

I think things worked out best for all three parties.

Appreciate what you have and stop thinking about the one that got away. You have a lot better things to do with your time and energy that spend it on such things.

maki2 said:
'Appreciate what you have and stop thinking about the one that got away. You have a lot better things to do with your time and energy than spend it on such things."

Thanks so much maki2 for your concerns about my available time and my energy consumption.
By the way, there was a second similar shuttle bus that I was considering buying this week from the place the Craigslist seller works. I didn’t mention that in my original post.

link: https://www.southernbusandmobility.com/inventory/bargain-bus-1999-ford-eldorado-low-miles/

I have now decided to not try to buy this Shuttle bus based upon the helpful information and concerns about the V-10 engine provided by the other posters above, and will just keep and appreciate what I have --for now.

Thank you to: highdesertranger , 66788 and Mobilesport. T

highdesertranger said:
I personally would stay away from all gasoline Ford v-8's and v-10's from1997 until 2008.  and all diesels after the 7.3 which is 2004 and up.  highdesertranger

Why specifically, Ranger?

Edit... Gotta read a little farther before asking! Thanks for the spark plug explanation.