Swing out van window replacement options?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastertheo

Reaction score
I just bought my first van, and I got a good deal on it considering it had a window that needed to be replaced.  It's a [font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]1996 Ford E-350[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Club Wagon[/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif] Passenger Van [/font][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Extended. The ad is still up.  [/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/no-rust-1996-ford-extended/6387659293.html[/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]I don't know much about windows, so I'm just trying to figure out what my options are to replace it. It's the Left Side Rear Quarter Window. [/font]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]Apparently the extended passenger version of the van is fairly rare, so this particular window is slim pickings. The cheapest one I could find online was $105, and that is for a fixed window, not a swing out. [/font]
[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-98-Fo...d=182718458466&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m2219[/font]

I found a swing out one, but it was like $240 after shipping, plus I'd have to pay someone to install it. That's a little pricey considering I only paid $1000 for the van. 

Is their any way to make the fixed window swing out? The swing out hardware is in the van, the window is just cracked a bunch. I don't know how the mechanics of the swing out exactly work though.

I thought about trying to find one in a junk yard, but I don't know how hard it will be to pull a window out of a van. I'm mildly handy, but that's about it. It also may be hard to find. I bought the van presuming I'd have to pay someone around a $100 to install one, and thought I could buy it online for around $100. I didn't consider it being a swing out window though.

The swing out is kind of important because its the window behind where the stove is.  The previous owner painted over all the other windows and did a hack job of insulating them, so I don't even know if they swing out or not. The back door ones don't. 

I've considered ripping down the insulation of the window next to the one that is broken and seeing if that's an option to cook. It doesn't seem like it would work that well though. I've also considered installing a fantastic fan and just replacing the window with a fixed one. It would be the same price as the overpriced swing out window online, but some scary work installing the fan. 

I don't really know what I'm doing, so any advice or feedback would be great. Thanks.

you will have to go to a junk yard for the window. what about the, "no tittle and can't be registered, for parts only". highdesertranger

Another good reason to leave SF no more junk yards, I got a swing out window for my 2001 e350 from a junkyard 40 bucks. That van looks fairly clean and it's not white.

highdesertranger said:
you will have to go to a junk yard for the window.  what about the,  "no tittle and can't be registered,  for parts only".  highdesertranger

In Mass you need a title for any vehicle to register it. In Rhode Island where I live, you don't need one if the vehicle is made before 2000. 

wagoneer said:
Another good reason to leave SF no more junk yards, I got a swing out window for my 2001 e350 from a junkyard 40 bucks. That van looks fairly clean and it's not white.

How hard of a job is it to pull a window out of a van at a junk yard? If I can't handle it, will someone who works there do it for a fee?

Oh crap, I might have the wrong window name. What is the name of the window directly behind the drivers window?