slide problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite

Reaction score
I bought a used C class motorhome with 3 slides I have only used it a couple times and had problems right off the bat of course everything works when you drive it off the lot.
My rear bedroom slide went out 1st but I got it back in and today when I went to get it fixed the front slide would not go in I called to cancel  and they were going to send someone out friday.
I kept flipping the switch off and on for about a hour before it came in, taking it in tomorrow.
is there some way your supposed to use the slides when not in use like keep them closed and open them often or  keep them closed and only open them when your need them open ?
is the problem that they don't get used enough ? or used to much ? 
I will let you know after I have them fixed what the problem was and the cost to fix it.

I’ve never had a class C and every time As a camp host I saw the vehicles with lots of slides I said oh boy that’s asking for trouble. Some of the people had them said no trouble at all. Not much help to you Is it? but I hope it goes well. I’m living in a van and I don’t have a slide and less I slept on the floor.

Most slides have a manual crank as well as an electrical motor. They do require cleaning and maintenance. The rails or tracks need to be cleaned and lubricated as well as the seals. The top exposed area must be clear and clean before closing. Having the unit level and supported before operating the slides also helps prevent binding which is a common problem. Extra weight like full cabinets or gear stored in the slide area can also cause problems. I had a visitor whose cat disappeared that found it the next day when they opened the slide. So it really helps to have someone watching outside when opening or closing them before it binds up so badly it won’t move.

The biggest problem with slides is not the slide but your house battery. When you are set up be sure to throw the battery switch to off on the house batteries. When you are ready to bring the slide in turn the switch to on and move it in. Even when you are hooked to shore power the slide operates on the batteries so they must be kept charged and maintained.