sleeping in back of truck with cap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraceinMotion

Reaction score
Greetings, I have a fiberglass cap lined inside with the marine-type carpet material. It is the regular height, not raised, and I have Thule adjustable cross bars on top with kayak cradles on one side and plan to get a cargo box for the other side. The sliding front window is removable and there are sliding windows with screens on each side. I need something to move air when I sleep back there. I do not plan to install solar panels on top (opting for suitcase type).
I have thought about a few options: 1) rig a small exhaust fan in the front sliding window, 2) rig a fan in plywood to install as needed across the back with tailgate down, 3) install a fantastic fan in the roof. Not to thrilled about cutting into the cap though.
Also, how can I cover the side screens at night so that people cannot see in, but I can still get airflow?
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I found the camco 12 volt fan that Walmart sells fit right in the front slider cab to topper window with some cut pieces of pool noodle and duct tape I could draw air from my front cab area. There is a sun screen material that is made with really tiny louvers that you can see out but no one can see in, but I think it would really restrict air flow. We just opened up the back and threw a bug net over the whole thing.

Fantastic fan all the way! Put it near where your head will be on top, in a truck shell it will move plenty of air. Be sure it is a one that blow in and out.

I have fabricated spacers to go in between the bed and shell to raise it up a couple of feet.
I like the Maxxair 7,000 series. It blows in or out and has a thermostat that shuts it down when the night air begins to chill.
In the Southwest desert the nights can get quite chilly if you are used to the 100+ days. Yesterday my truck dashboard thermometer said 115 when I got in it.

Another option: Mount a computer type fan, or 2 of them, in a piece of plastic sheeting or something like luan board, cut to fit in the slider windows, either the front or the side. 

They are generally pretty quiet and will run on a portable power pack for days.

Also at a correspondingly low CFM exchange rate.

But yes, often that's enough in mild conditions.

In the cordless tool area of Home Depot I see Rigid has a fan among their tool selection, perhaps this'll work for you. My tools are manual but if I went cordless I'll seek Rigid for that aspect, but I'll also need a sale or price reduction before I jump in.

Ryobi has fans too and they also have a 12v charger for their batteries.

Thanks! I scanned the other displays but didn't see the Ryobi fan, but did see a difference in cost with the two brands.