A.R.E. type door for back of cap

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It probably does, I only will be using the water for washing up and brushing my teeth... I don't drink a lot of water, and when I do I want it cold so I keep some bottles in my cooler. If I were drinking the water, I'd probably have used something different so that I wouldn't get that "garden hose taste". I'm also with you on the fitting... but in the limited time I had to get it all together so I could hit the road, I went to the local hardware in town and that elbow was the only type they had.

Well my thought on that is if I am going to pay to carry water around I want it to be potable. Hauling around non-potable water is a waste of money in my book. Highdesertranger

Water filter to solve that problem.

Also, I buy several galls. of pure water from the machines when I get a chance.

So you buy potable water then you foul it and need to run it through a filter? Something doesn't seem right there.

Don't get me wrong I have a Berkey water filter but I don't go around fouling my water when it's easy not to. I use the Berkey to filter water I find in the wild.

Like I said if I am going to pay to haul water around it's going to be potable.

Highdesertranger

Well, since I've been here in Georgia, I have gotten my water pump and fan wired up, and rearranged how the fresh and gray water "tanks" sit under the counter. Now I have a little more storage room.
I decided yesterday that I should check the oil level in the rear differential so this morning I went to Goodwill and Walmart to get some "work" clothes (I forgot to bring any clothes to wear if I might get greasy) and Harbor Freight for a tarp to use as a creeper to get under the truck on. It was low enough so that I added some lube. I've decided that I should probably check it every day or maybe every other. I'm going to get that seal replaced as soon as I get home...which is a couple more weeks.
My plan is to leave Georgia within the next two or three days and get headed to Florida where I'll be until June 7th or 8th. Then it'll be a slower ride back to Maine, getting there on the 12th or 13th.

G0ldengirl68 said:
sounds great to be traveling, I'm looking forward to it too ;)  happy trails kk ;) Denise
Thanks, Denise. 1850 miles so far. 
Now at my daughter's in FL after a week at my son's in GA. I'm doing a little more on the "cramper" in both places. Today I replaced a window screen in the topper. I plan to do the other one tomorrow.
I'm hitting the road again on Monday.

LOL, Cramper!! I still haven't had my shell put back on, long story, but my guy that did the paint job hasn't had time to put it back on for me yet. After that I have to do some major cleaning on it. Has moss and who knows what around the windows. I never could see through the front window from the back window of my truck. I'd like to get that fixed so I could.

Anyway, maintain the cruise, and enjoy, and then enjoy some more!! Denise

G0ldengirl68 said:
LOL, Cramper!!  I still haven't had my shell put back on, long story, but my guy that did the paint job hasn't had time to put it back on for me yet.  After that I have to do some major cleaning on it.  Has moss and who knows what around the windows.  I never could see through the front window from the back window of my truck.  I'd like to get that fixed so I could.

Anyway, maintain the cruise, and enjoy, and then enjoy some more!! Denise
What's on that window that makes it so that you can't see through it? If it's possible, you should go where it is and clean the topper, and that window, before it's back on the truck. That window especially will be near impossible to get to for cleaning once the topper is remounted.

Just an update. I finished that trip with no problems at all. In fact, I never even had to add anymore differential lube. The truck didn't burn a drop of oil either!
I did have problems with my water pump and faucet arrangement though....the pump shuts off when it reaches a certain pressure, but most of the time it never got to that pressure before blowing the hose off the pump.
Right now the truck is parked at my home in Maine, while I'm at my in-laws in Puerto Rico until April. They have a small, spare, house that we're living in. It's tiny...340 square feet! But, it's working out perfectly and I'm not shoveling even one flake of snow this year!
Hopefully, when I get home I will have the time to build a larger camper for next year's roadtrip (The Alamo...I've never been to Texas and it's my 50th state) but, I think I'll be working feverishly on my house so that I can sell it. Anyone want a house that was a barn? It was converted to a house in the mid-70's.

kklowell said:
Right now the truck is parked at my home in Maine, while I'm at my in-laws in Puerto Rico until April.

(The Alamo...I've never been to Texas and it's my 50th state) 

Well we're kinda even...I've never been to Maine OR Puerto Rico. But I gotta ask how were you able to visit Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and New Mexico without setting foot in Texas?

I mean, we have been known to lower our shields now and then!

:cool:

tx2sturgis said:
Well we're kinda even...I've never been to Maine OR Puerto Rico. But I gotta ask how were you able to visit Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and New Mexico without setting foot in Texas?

I mean, we have been known to lower our shields now and then!

:cool:
Well, the closest I ever came was seeing a sign once that said, "Texas 8 miles". That time we were driving from Ft Lewis, Washington where I had just gotten out of the service. We took a really meandering route down through CA, then across those southwestern states. I'd have hit TX then had I known that someday I'd have been to the other 49! I was in Louisiana for a bass fishing tournament in Shreveport in 2005... would have gone then too...but I didn't have my own truck, and again didn't know I'd someday have been to the other 49. 
Actually, technically, I have been in Texas... we flew into Dallas on our way to Hawaii. I don't figure a 30-minute stop in an airport terminal qualifies though.
State  #49 was South Carolina in 2020 during my road trip to FL and back. So... Texas is the only one left.

Yeah, contrary to geographic facts, the DFW metroplex barely qualifies as 'Texas'. 

8 million people crammed into 4000 square miles is just not representative of the sparsely populated, rambling, rolling, rural West Texas countryside that I know and love.

Come visit sometime!

tx2sturgis said:
Come visit sometime!
 Well, the initial plan was to leave Maine in November, 2022 for a 2-3 month road trip. However, that may be altered becuase we may sell the house in Maine and move to FL (PR is also an option, but that would be very temporary). As I have a master bedroom/bathroom project underway in that house, my time (and money) may be more needed there than on a road trip.  If we DO sell the house, my hope is to buy a much smaller one in the NW FL area, AND a class C. If that happens, my future road tripping will be a bunch more comfortable than the cramped space of my current "cramper". In an ideal world, I'll get the house done, and sold for close to asking, and still have all of that done before November, 2022. 
One thing I do know...my Maine winter days are over. <grin>
All of that was to say, "I'd be glad to come visit Texas!"

Latest posts