sleeping arrangements

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackmearl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the disk-o-bed in a van. this is a bunk bed cot designed for a tent and is available from amazon starting at $300? a little pricey but very sturdy and comfortable without the need for a mattress. Converts to a sofa.

I'm guessing the answer is going to be no, Jack. It's pretty pricey. I don't think there are a lot of us that require bunk beds in our vans.

In case anyone is curious
http://www.discobedshop.com/

The price on their website is higher than Amazon.

and the specs
•Beige, powder coated, anti rust steel frame
•Outer dimensions: 81.75” (208cm) L x 39.5” (100.5cm) W x 36.5” (92.5cm) H
•Sleep area: 79” (201cm) L x 34.5” (88cm) W
•Height of bottom cot: 11.25” (28.5cm)
•Height of top cot: 32” (81.5cm)
•Pack dimensions: 41” (104.1cm) L x 17” (43.2cm) W x 9” (22.9cm) H
•Weight of bunk: 66lbs
•Shipping weight (in box): 71.5lbs Shipping weight (in box): 67lbs (30.5kg) Weight tolerance: 500 lbs (159kg)– per single cot

i dont think the top bunk is usable in a low top van...cool idea tho

I'm a fan of bunk beds and when I lived in a box van I built some out of 2 x 6s and used the top for storage.

But in a low top van I don't know if they are practical. You wouldn't be able to sit up in either bed and you'd be hitting your head a lot. On the other hand you gain a lot of storage.

You could build that bed out of 2x4s and plywood for not much money.

If you are interested here is a link to it on Amazon:
http://smile.amazon.com/Disc-O-Bed-Cam-O-Bunk-with2-Organizers-Large/dp/B00BGU41G2
Bob

Looks like it would be easy enough to build a bunk bed setup, and much cheaper than buying one.

gsfish said:
OK, unless it gets cold according to this Amazon reviewer.
"Fair warning when used in cold conditions a warm sleeping bag is not enough, your back will freeze. A warm sleeping bag compresses and doesn't provide enough insulation. You still need some foam or a sleeping mat under you for insulation."

that's a simple case of inexperience. ^^^

a person should know what they're doing, before they critique it.

I agree with Van-Tramp... Why not just build one? I built a frame with a 3/4" plywood top and use a futon on top of a semi-rigid foam cushion. It's comfortable and comparatively inexpensive.

Well that was a disappointment. I was looking forward to seeing a round, rotating bed covered in neon pink fur. And I very much expected it to come with a disco ball.

Seems like a nice option for anyone who doesn't have the skills or tools to build their own bunk bed. Would definitely recommend a foam pad for insulation.

For me, a great mattress (not just an adequate one) is the most important thing in the entire van. I have a plush extra long twin mattress running down the side of my standard length van, and there's still enough room for everything else.

So I think it's better to spend your dough on a great mattress rather than a gadgety frame.

MrNoodly said:
For me, a great mattress (not just an adequate one) is the most important thing in the entire van. I have a plush extra long twin mattress running down the side of my standard length van, and there's still enough room for everything else.

So I think it's better to spend your dough on a great mattress rather than a gadgety frame.

I have to agree with you there, a frame can be cheap & easy to build or purchase, but a good nights sleep is PRICELESS! Too many people don't put enough thought into just how precious and important a good nights sleep really is.