Slab City

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CityWoman said:
Is Slab City actually the name of a place or is it a nickname?  Where is it and what's the appeal?  I never heard of it before seeing mention of it now and then on this forum.

Sorry for being lazy - I'm on my phone and can't google right now.

I'm sure you're not still on the phone.  Google it... there is a tremendous amount of info on it.  
In fact, I bet Bob has written an article about it.

I'm thinking about going there for a little while in a month or 2 just to get off of the 14 day limit crap.

Exhale@Last:

I'm planning on going, but I suppose you are already there.  I probably won't get there for another month.  Feel free to PM me if you want to try to arrange a meet. 

Regards,

Pat

Pat

If there was anyone I would want to be with there, it would be you. I may have to visit before Ehrenberg.

jimindenver said:
Pat

If there was anyone I would want to be with there, it would be you. I may have to visit before Ehrenberg.

That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me!  Well, except for my Mommy!   :D

PM sent, Jim.

I'm scheduled to visit the last weekend of October, and again over Thanksgiving. I'll check to see if you guys are there when I am to say hi!

Itripper said:
Don't go to the Slabs alone. Get some buddies so you can have someone at camp at all times, while most slabbers are decent, there are plenty of meth heads out there and they will steal from you, especially solar. Or make friends with some of the nicer people camped out there, be parked close enough so they can watch your camp.  Solo people out there are easy marks for the druggies.

I found a pretty entertaining story on Reddit about a guy who was hunted by meth heads while at Slab City.  

It's not a video, so it won't use a lot of data, but it's a very looooong read.  Fun though, if a bit scary.  

The reader comments suggest that it's a bogus story.  Still fun to read, though. 

:cool:

The 600+ acre squatters area more commonly referred to as Slab City is actually Niland, CA.. The town of Niland in the past was a thriving farm community, resupply point for Salton Sea visitors and home to a robust thermal energy industry approximately 30+ years ago, it is no more...

"In 1942 the construction of Camp Dunlap began to prepare the United States Marine Corps for combat duty. By 1949 military operations at Camp Dunlap had been greatly reduced, but a crew continued until the base was dismantled. By 1956 all buildings were dismantled, but the slabs remained.

As of October 6, 1961, a quitclaim deed conveying the land to the State of California was issued by the Department of Defense as it was determined the land was no longer required. The deed did not contain any restrictions, recapture clauses or restoration provisions. All of the former Camp Dunlap buildings had been removed. The remaining slabs were not proposed for removal. Later, legislation required that revenue generated from this property go to the California State Teachers Retirement System.

At some point, a chemical company in Oakland hired 20 men to harvest creosote leaves near Niland. Some workers moved closer to work by living in small trailers at the abandoned Camp Dunlap. This was the start of what is now called Slab City.

By 1965 migration to Slab City had begun. Riverside County ordered people to leave a camping area at Painted Canyon near Mecca. These people had all sorts of living arrangements; besides trailers, there were cardboard and plywood shacks, and a variety of vehicles and school buses. Some migrated to what is now Bombay Beach and the abandoned Marine Training Base Camp Dunlap now known as Slab City."

Per Wikipedia