Where's Global Warming when they need it? Mongolia has just seen its harshest winter in 50 years.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Global warming affecting the planet does not mean that severe winter storms can’t happen. It is not an all or nothing scenario.

Allow me to simplify how this works.

1) If there's any sort negative effect (regardless whether cold or hot), it's driven by climate change.
2) If there is any beneficial effect, that would be caused by other environmental factors.

Always, 100% of the time.

Here inTucson our summers keep getting hotter and hotter. When I first moved here 30 yrs ago we sometimes would get to 103F now we regularly get to 105 and higher. On the other hand our winters are wetter. The last two have been the wettest I can think of. I used to be doubtful about climate change as there is a natural cycle for that, but I do believe it has been accelerated for this particular cycle and I believe that human pollution is the cause.

Here inTucson …. The last two have been the wettest I can think of. I used to be doubtful about climate change as there is a natural cycle for that, but I do believe it has been accelerated for this particular cycle and I believe that human pollution is the cause.
The last two winters being the wettest wether in Arizona that you can remember was not caused by global warming. The actual cause was from a weather cycle that originates in the Pacific Ocean that causes an atmospheric river which moves across California and on inland . It is an every 200 year cycle proven by geologic evidence of flooding in the sediment layers. But like many weather cycles it ramps up and then back down again over a time period of several years. This particular cycle happens in the winter months. You can read about it in the news articles published in the wi ter of 2023 from California news and scientific sources. Of course there is no human still alive who can remember a weather cycle that takes place every 200 years. Written accounts from 200 years ago go in Arizona and California are themselves very scarce on any subject matter although there are some written accounts from the Spanish who traveled into that region from Mexico. But the geological evidence does exist from the flooding on a 200 year cycle. There currently is a tendency by non scientific individuals to immediately conclude that global warming is the cause of all changes in weather patterns but that is not at all true. There are other cycles that come and go including El Niño and La Niña which many people are familiar with and is frequently mentioned in weather reports.

Last edited:
Seems climate change has caused new extremes by changing weather patterns. New records being set everywhere.
Its very clear and proven over and over how global warming affects the weather patterns. For every elevated degree, it raises the highs by a predictable amount and lowers the lows by a predicable amount. It affects both ends of the spectrum.

Global warming refers to the average temperature of the GLOBE getting WARMER. That's why it is a more descriptive term than "climate change" - which could be accurate if the climate changed in either direction.

Weather is a local phenomenon that can actually get colder in some locations and hotter in other locations as the global average get hotter. Like a boiling pot of water shows more activity than a cold pot of water.. In fact, scientists have long predicted that global warming would result in greater weather extremes. Now we are seeing just that. But, we all already knew this didn't we? :)

Milankovitch (Orbital) Cycles and Their Role in Earth’s Climate​

https://science.nasa.gov/science-re...ital-cycles-and-their-role-in-earths-climate/ Below is a from this NASA website
Milankovitch assumed changes in radiation at some latitudes and in some seasons are more important than others to the growth and retreat of ice sheets. In addition, it was his belief that obliquity was the most important of the three cycles for climate, because it affects the amount of insolation in Earth’s northern high-latitude regions during summer (the relative role of precession versus obliquity is still a matter of scientific study).
He calculated that Ice Ages occur approximately every 41,000 years. Subsequent research confirms that they did occur at 41,000-year intervals between one and three million years ago. But about 800,000 years ago, the cycle of Ice Ages lengthened to 100,000 years, matching Earth’s eccentricity cycle. While various theories have been proposed to explain this transition, scientists do not yet have a clear answer.
Milankovitch’s work was supported by other researchers of his time, and he authored numerous publications on his hypothesis. But it wasn’t until about 10 years after his death in 1958 that the global science community began to take serious notice of his theory. In 1976, a study in the journal Science by Hays et al. using deep-sea sediment cores found that Milankovitch cycles correspond with periods of major climate change over the past 450,000 years, with Ice Ages occurring when Earth was undergoing different stages of orbital variation.
Several other projects and studies have also upheld the validity of Milankovitch’s work, including research using data from ice cores in Greenland and Antarctica that has provided strong evidence of Milankovitch cycles going back many hundreds of thousands of years. In addition, his work has been embraced by the National Research Council of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
Scientific research to better understand the mechanisms that cause changes in Earth’s rotation and how specifically Milankovitch cycles combine to affect climate is ongoing. But the theory that they drive the timing of glacial-interglacial cycles is well accepted.

Scientific research to better understand the mechanisms that cause changes in Earth’s rotation and how specifically Milankovitch cycles combine to affect climate is ongoing. But the theory that they drive the timing of glacial-interglacial cycles is well accepted.
All true, cycles exists, but: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles
" non-orbital effects can be important (for example, the human impact on the environment principally increases greenhouse gases resulting in a warmer climate"

and from the same source, NASA:
https://science.nasa.gov/earth/clim...l-cycles-cant-explain-earths-current-warming/
"they cannot account for the current period of rapid warming Earth has experienced since the pre-Industrial period (the period between 1850 and 1900), and particularly since the mid-20th century. Scientists are confident Earth’s recent warming is primarily due to human activities — specifically, the direct input of carbon dioxide into Earth’s atmosphere from burning fossil fuels."

so there. Somewhere I read that they may explain max 7% of the current changes in temperature.