Simple Shower

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a free one by drilling small holes in the cap and squeeze the bottle. Turn upright to let air in.

To answer the question, I can shower in about a 1/2 gallon of water but I don't have long hair.

Edit to add: While washing hair the water runs and make you wet. Wet hair and shampoo, rinse. Wet a washcloth and soap it. Scrub. Rinse. Forgot to add that I have a full shower, I just turn the water on and off. I have measured the water based on water runtime while showering.

What makes this work so well is that the shower head is large enough and shaped to spread the flow. Drilling holes in a cap really won't work as well.

The video left out the part about heating the water. Or are they fans of cold showers? :D

How much water you use depends on how you shower. For example, if you just use it to rinse off after essentially sponge bathing, a liter or two might be enough. But if you're the type who needs a constant flow of water to stand in while you soap up, you'll use a lot more, of course.

I sponge bathe with a half-and-half mixture of water and a no-rinse cleaner they use on bed-ridden people. I can get clean with about a half cup of water. I don't have hair, so shampooing isn't an issue. But I indulge in a nice long hot truck stop shower every couple of weeks.

I can shower with 3 liters of water.
I heat it using a sunshower.

It is a skill you can learn.

Warming water to add in the bottle would be simple enough and having a couple of bottles ready to go until you figure out how many you will use. I am able to get clean using two bottles. The reason this works so well is the shape of the shower head, showers are cone shaped so the water will come out in individual streams. Drilling holes in a cap would result in a single stream of water not a shower.

Thanks for posting this! I just ordered a couple to use in my Suburban which has no shower or water system.
I may also try to make one out of a plastic Langers 1/2 gallon juice jug I just emptied--it has a bigger lid. t

Another option might something I found called the Dianne. I got it because it will just push on to any faucet connector and I can use it to wash my dog. But, I see it would have merit for something similar to this application. If I remember right it cost me under $7 off amazon. It has about a 6' hose but no shut off.

mahem do you have a link to this Dianne thingy. i searched Amazon and all I got was authors. do you know how many authors are named Dianne? LOL. highdesertranger

I used to have one of the Dianne type of sprayers when I lived in an old house that had a bathtub but no shower surround or shower head. That way I could wash my hair while I was taking a bath in the tub or wash the kids hair. But the cat hated it...

I got a similar thing at Lowe's. Most public restrooms now have odd shaped faucets and/or motion-activated operation which makes it difficult.

thanks for the heads up. this is a perfect example of why we need to define what we are posting. like I said when I searched Amazon all i got was authors because the post didn't provide enough info. I even tried Dianne hose same thing. highdesertranger

The reason the simple shower works is the tube that goes up inside the bottle let's air in so it doesn't build up a vacuum.

I have sea sponges. They hold a lot of water. Well I bought a battery operated shower you put in a bucket. Amazon deal . I took about 5 showers. Im back to sponges. The sea sponge is really the best used from a bucket of heated water. 5 minutes heat from Coleman stove and you're ready. I've got a 2 gallon galv bucket . Old timey . Sea sponge is not a cleaning sponge which those are hard . Sea sponge will bathe a baby. In fact that's what they do.

MrNoodly said:
.....I sponge bathe with a half-and-half mixture of water and a no-rinse cleaner they use on bed-ridden people. I can get clean with about a half cup of water. I don't have hair, so shampooing isn't an issue. But I indulge in a nice long hot truck stop shower every couple of weeks.
Hi Mr Noodly. What is the name of your no rinse cleaner and where can a person purchase it? Thanks HoboJoe

Thank you for posting about this ingenious, inexpensive shower head device which is about as good as it get's!

Small, lightweight, inexpensive shower devices for multiple applications are something we can all benefit from.

Paracord or 1 inch webbing strap can be made to form a support to hold a 1/2/3 litre bottle inverted snd hung up.