Simple Method to Avoid Being Judgmental

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, where are all the typical comments? Lol.
Well played sir, well played.

The old man taught me that if you don't have anything good to say in certain situations, best to say nothing at all. I think Ben Franklin said: Best to be thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt" (paraphrase)

-Mike

Interesting, and the quote of Walt Whitman is appropriate..."Be curious". To address why judgement is being made is key to the "understanding" concept that this article suggests. But to say "Don't pass judgement" may go against human nature as everyone has an opinion that is rooted in perception and emotion. A struggle within may begin, "I'm not supposed to pass judgement!", followed by inadequacy and/or anger at the state of one's self. To ask why a judgement was passed may cause analysis, acceptance, and growth. There are things that we should and should not do, and when we ask ourselves why we do each of them it seems inevitable that a learning process has been activated. Similarly, you may hear, "Don't get angry!". And when we do get angry will it be, "I'm not supposed to get angry!", or will it be, "Why am I angry, and what am I going to do with it." The latter is analysis with a possible revelation of consequences, but not the former, although it may lead to, "What am I supposed to do?!?"  Walt Whitman's quote of "be curious" is very relevant here.

Unrealistic. Mainly pointless. People are what they are -- there's no law that you have to understand and like everyone. Some people you've known for a long time, and still don't like them, and never will. Some people aren't likeable. What's you plan for psychopaths?

No need to engage if you prefer not to.

We are all at different stages of humanity's spiritual evolution, sometimes up, other times down, and some even keep right off the path.

Don't forget to go easy on, let go of judging, yourself as well.

Peace of Mind is the highest goal, and it often is not striving that gets you there.

Grace and understanding should be everyone's goal, but to play Devil's advocate: passing judgment doesn't have to mean you are cruel to someone. Take a message board, for instance. I can pass an immediate judgment that someone's communication style isn't my cup of tea, and therefore it would be pointless to engage with them, because I'm not going to enjoy it. They don't need to know that's the reason I skipped over their post.

I have a pretty easy time understanding (and having empathy for) the "why" of someone's behavior. But again, that doesn't mean I don't pass the judgment that I don't want to spend time with them.

TrainChaser said:
Unrealistic.  Mainly pointless.  People are what they are -- there's no law that you have to understand and like everyone.  Some people you've known for a long time, and still don't like them, and never will.  Some people aren't likeable.  What's you plan for psychopaths?

Good points here. Is it even possible to understand & like everyone? Are psychopaths wired differently? Are they fulfilling a role in an animalistic society? I think these are valid questions, and you have brought up valid points. Interestingly, I've been called a hard-core realist. And there are folks that I choose not to engage. But it is not for them or some preconceived societal posturing that any of this is done. It is to be analytical, to ask why and learn so that I might know something more at the end of the day than I did at the beginning. I thought that the "curious" aspect of all this to be the most common denominator.

there's no meaning, there's no reward. It's all just mind games.

bardo said:
 It's all just mind games.

I read this and then immediately went to youtube for "Come Out And Play" by The Offspring

I find it very convenient to have my scapegoat picked out well in advance. That way I already know who to blame. :p

rm.w/aview said:
I read this and then immediately went to youtube for "Come Out And Play" by The Offspring

you should have went to john lennon

So is violence.

Question is, is a given aspect of our "human nature" helpful

at this time, in this situation

to maximizing our peace of mind?

Yes, sometimes it is appropriate, our conscience requires taking action.

But most interactions with others we are better off just accepting, observing, letting them be.

bardo said:
you should have went to john lennon

I've been trying unsuccessfully to join your "mind games" reference & my "come out and play" reference to John Lennon :)