SICK OF THE MATRIX !!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@crackedpan....Thankyou so much !!!!   I haven't made any purchases yet....all i have is a comfortable toilet inside my van....lol.   I just go crazy writing stuff down as i watch YT videos & stuff i learn here.....i know for sure i better get a vent fan of some kind....i do not want to suffer in the heat.....i think that will be one of my first purchases....then a camping stove....i have lots of battery powered candles....i was thinking of using one of my tables for the bed platform....trying to think of what to utilize that i already have....
I am very strung out about how i'm going to make it all work....as i just quit my job on top of it all...

I'm waiting to get my air conditioner fixed in my van before i spend some time in it....
but i could experiment in the parking lot of my apartment complex....before i take the next step into a Walmart .....then try another area.....

Thank you honey for your sweet comments  :heart:

Wow, you quit your job? I guess you are ready for change! Good to hear you can store your beautiful furniture instead of having to give it away. I am giving away almost all my furniture. I will take only my sewing machine table, if I can fit it into the van... that, and a folding table.

travelaround said:
 quit your job? I am giving away almost all my furniture. I will take only my sewing machine table, and a folding table.

Yes......but i've quit many times....lol....like smoking....
I think it's important to hang on to SOME things you really love...you will find a way/place for it....
I also read that there are flea markets where you can sell things....so i might take extra stuff just for that....
Also, i was thinking of taking extra stuff to give to you guys when i meet up....

I do not want to sell. It is easier to give away. And I don't want anything left in storage. I'd be paying far more in storage fees than anything I own is worth.

I forgot - I now own a pretty nice van, so I have one thing worth taking along. But most of my furniture is worth very little. Most of it was given to me when I moved to Idaho as I was destitute at the time.

I changed the video to YT instead of my FB :

My Dwelling Place :

wow nice van. I've seen a few vans that had modified furniture, like desks they got at habitat for humanity for cheap to make beds with storage under and so forth, might be a cheap and easy way to get it livable.

OkieDreamer said:
wow nice van. I've seen a few vans that had modified furniture...

Thanks OkieDreamer !   I was thinking using my own furniture, and possibly modifying it to fit somehow....but at the same time i am itching to try building something myself with plywood !!!   It shouldn't be too difficult to build a simple bed frame/platform...i think if i can do that it might give me the courage to do other stuff.....we'll see !!!

travelaround said:
I forgot - I now own a pretty nice van
Yes you do !!!   Is the floor done yet ???   I am just as excited to see your build as i am of my own...lol..
Many times i have started over with hand-me-down furniture....been in many desperate situations....

Gypsy108 said:
Thanks OkieDreamer !   I was thinking using my own furniture, and possibly modifying it to fit somehow....but at the same time i am itching to try building something myself with plywood !!!   It shouldn't be too difficult to build a simple bed frame/platform...i think if i can do that it might give me the courage to do other stuff.....we'll see !!!

I saw a metal bed frame for a foam bed on amazon, IDK if it would fit cross wise, but it might work longways and some plastic bins underneath and ba dah bing. Eh it's an idea anyway. They had the dimensions of it. I was looking at something like that when I was thinking of buying a van, light and strong.

As I read thru this thread I notice the subject of Furniture comes up.   Much of the furniture people own is designed for a fixed permanent location,  but when some of us transition to a nomadic live we have to say goodbye to these things we have come to love.  Even if we can store it,  it cannot serve us in storage.  Such is the way of the nomadic lifestyle. But if you had furniture that could knock down, fold up, deflate and consume very little space while you travel and then be quickly re erected in a new location to serve us, then we may be better served and come to love our new furniture.

In the 1970's a couple of Industrial Designers were faced with the same problems as they had to travel for work on short term jobs.  Victor Papanek and James Hennessey used their Nomadic Designer experiences to put together a book of ideas they used to build their nomadic furniture to serve them.  The book has been used since by younger people faced with the challenge of starting out and having to travel frequently to find careers or in our cases traveling to find the life we desire.

Nomadic Furniture Volume #1

https://www.scribd.com/doc/190223054/Nomadic-Furniture

MY Van Name :  MAHARAJA

WOW, great van, you are gonna have lots of fun with it, decorating and on the road!! :)

eDJ_ said:
As I read thru this thread I notice the subject of Furniture comes up.   Much of the furniture people own is designed for a fixed permanent location,  but when some of us transition to a nomadic live we have to say goodbye to these things we have come to love.  Even if we can store it,  it cannot serve us in storage.  Such is the way of the nomadic lifestyle.  But if you had furniture that could knock down, fold up, deflate and consume very little space while you travel and then be quickly re erected in a new location to serve us, then we may be better served and come to love our new furniture.

In the 1970's a couple of Industrial Designers were faced with the same problems as they had to travel for work on short term jobs.  Victor Papanek and James Hennessey used their Nomadic Designer experiences to put together a book of ideas they used to build their nomadic furniture to serve them.  The book has been used since by younger people faced with the challenge of starting out and having to travel frequently to find careers or in our cases traveling to find the life we desire.

Nomadic Furniture Volume #1

https://www.scribd.com/doc/190223054/Nomadic-Furniture

Very fun book. Even I could build most of these things!!!!!

Latest posts