Shy Newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I went to my first RTR this year for 4-5 days and it was a great experience. I'm still in the deciding phase. Due to a few health issues, I am not convinced that being a nomad is safe for me. I'm a woman over 60 and monthly money is not the issue, getting a vehicle to live in is the issue. I have a minivan and two darling dogs that of course I will not give up. One is large and one is medium sized. You may have seen me wandering around with them tied to my waist. A red cattle dog/shepherd mix and a black lab mix.

I look forward to being a part of this online forum!

Welcome to the CRVL forums DesertRose! Best wishes with your decisions. Hope you find a way to do it!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

DesertRose said:
I am not convinced that being a nomad is safe for me. 

Hi DesertRose,

I'm also a single woman in her sixties, and I love this nomadic life.  We have so many options.

My cat (given free access to her cat door) was killed by coyotes my first year on the road - but we know cats are NOT as amenable to traveling as dogs, and I see so many RVers with dogs, even multiple dogs, I'm sure you'll be fine with them.

If you have any specific questions about safety, let me know.  And when you're in the Sonoran Desert, let me know if we might meet up.  It's (almost) always nice to connect with others!

Welcome DesertRose,

Hopefully your health issues are manageable and allow you to move forward on your nomadic adventure.

Safe travels....

DesertRose said:
Hi Jean, sent you a PM!  My concerns are about health issues, otherwise I'm pretty fearless! PS I am so sorry about your cat :(

Oh, and thanks for your sympathies for my cat.  It was REALLY hard when she died.  I was in serious grief for a week, even though I knew it was coming.  She and I were pretty psychic together, and she let me know she was going to "go."  She was not happy with changing territory constantly.  I still talk to her though.  ;}

Hello everyone who has welcomed me either directly or indirectly! I have been extremely ill with pneumonia for the past 11-12 days, since a couple days after returning from the RTR. (My first!) I had such a good time, although I felt very shy around most people. I am very friendly and outgoing though, but as an introvert who is socially awkward a lot of the time, I sometimes have trouble maintaining connections after makng them. Still, I feel the nomad community is my tribe and am so happy that the Universe has directed me here. I think my first inkling was Carolyn RV's Life popped on on my YouTube a few months ago "for some reason!" I would get these updates and think, yeah, yeah I'll watch that at some point and then she just drew me in, as did many others! I hope to meet many of you in person.