Show Us Your Pet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cammalu & All,
Butternut and Maggie are both rescues. Butternut is female, blonde and deaf (she doesn’t know that). Ferrets are part of the weasel family. When sold to the public they’re fixed and descented. You need a state license as a breeder to get an intact one. Butternut is my fourth ferret. Lifespan is 6-9 years (too bad). Butternut is 1.2 lbs. and a little large for a female.
Ferrets make wonderful small pets. They’re funny, smart and curious. They’re perfect in that they sleep 18-20 or so hours a day. In their native Northern European environment they’re semi- or more nocturnal. However they’ll change their circadian rhythms to your schedule. Butternut rises with me for a breakfast of turkey baby food (baby spoon full) (part of my bonding routine). She always has kibble and water in her cage but she wants to get out and play. She is sometimes up at noontime but her next active period is at dinner time and more baby food and play. Females are more active and 50% smaller than males. Males are more lethargic.
Ferrets can be insistent on love and play. You become “mommy ferret’ and need to teach what love is – that is kisses, stroking, petting, etc., they play naturally. They love to ride on your shoulder; I have a harness and leash for Butternut so I can take her out. Many times they’re like a mischievous 2 year old. They learn their names, simple commands, and can be taught to come when called. You need to ‘ferret proof’ their environment – they’ll get into any small space, holes, etc. like under the ‘fridge, dishwasher, into closets, (under the dash) and so on. Block off or close off any place you do not want them to be. Butternut loves to jump into the bathtub and play in the water. They love to sleep in a hammock. When I’m home or my van is stopped Butternut is out, otherwise she’s in her cage. They need a big enough cage for them to move around in with a litter box at the bottom. Her home cage is 6’ by 3’ and 5 levels high. Her van cage is 3’ by 2’ and 5 levels high.
Ferrets are obligate carnivores, that is meat only and high protein. Many pet food sources have ferret food. I feed a kibble which is 62% protein & 18% fat & of course her ‘treat’ of baby food. She also gets a baby spoonful of salmon oil daily. Ferrets digestive tract is only 4-5 hours long (no caecum) so they eat and poop every 4-5 hours around the clock. Many owners have more than one – 6 or more is not uncommon. However with more than one they bond and play with each other. I’ve only had one at a time so they bond with me, and it can be a tight bond. You can get any color or combination. Butternut goes to sleep on me. They naturally use a litter box and will return to their cage to bathroom. Litter needs to be natural (like World’s Best chopped up corn cobs) and it cannot be scented. They really don’t smell but they are fastidious. If their litter box is dirty they’ll go someplace else. I sift hers daily as well give her fresh water.
Ferret care is a little more than cats or dogs. You need to clip their nails, clean their ears, watch their volume of eating and drinking and poop for any irregularities, inspect their coat and bodies. Vet care is a little more expensive. Once a year wellness check unless sick or otherwise. Shots and flea/tick treatment too. Baths are generally not needed if you change their bedding regularly. I use yellow or pink gas station towels from Walmart and wash them with my wash.

Butternut at van rear window after rain....
"How do I get out of here."Butternut Window Post.JPG

Attachments

• Butternut Window Post.JPG
    Butternut Window Post.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 14
My beloved French bulldog passed away 3 weeks ago, so this thread makes me sad((((

So sorry Marvin. I bought my sister one a few months ago as a surprise and we got her all prettied up for the occasion. Will you get another?

7d61621da4f83099229f21224cb7d2e6.jpg

My co-pilot Bridie asleep in one of her favorite places.

Attachments

• 14EC3802-6F45-4F1E-8BED-8A26436C31A7.jpeg
    14EC3802-6F45-4F1E-8BED-8A26436C31A7.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4
I GOT A NEW DOG!!!!!!!!!

His name is Captain. This is him. I made a video about him, if you'd like to watch it the link is below. But anyway, I looooove him. I still miss my Cowboy, but Captain helps a lot.  

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ep 47 captain bandana copy.jpg[/font]

Attachments

• ep 47 captain bandana copy.jpg
    ep 47 captain bandana copy.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10
Up in the high country, June,

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]IMG_5255.JPG[/font]

Attachments

• IMG_5255.JPG
    IMG_5255.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Margaret Louise aka Maggie my chunky nugget. That’s my back she’s sleeping on.Sometimes my chest with her paw wrapped around my waist. 60 lbs of mini Pit Bull love CB49FA3F-8643-4126-B657-20DD26B19B39.jpeg

Attachments

• CB49FA3F-8643-4126-B657-20DD26B19B39.jpeg
    CB49FA3F-8643-4126-B657-20DD26B19B39.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 18
I finally got a dog and she’s perfect!!! She’s around 40 lbs and loves to swim. Her name is Sam.

HDR.... what are u waiting for?

2ef060c269319a0339023bf193c3a732.jpg

She’s a beauty! She will be such good company. I miss my Sammy so much. He was a dog but my soulmate. Dog of my heart. Dogs are the best travel companions. They are always happy and always want to go where you do. Don’t argue but they will hog the bed and covers. Enjoy your new best friend!

I miss my girl who passed away last year, and now, everytime I see a dog, I say, "Look at that one. Das a nice one." :)

Your dog is around mine (45-50 pounds was mine).

I hope to get a dog again. I miss having one.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

This is the first time I saw this post. I'm loving these pics. I'm a dog lover whose animal passed away last year, and seeing pics of them cheers me up.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk