show off your pet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We started that post, then realizing we needed a current portrait, we back-spaced to wipe the window.
With nothing showing on our end, we signed out.
I discovered only by seeing in the reply box posts I thought had deleted, that this system keeps your type unless you tap on the three vertical dots at the upper right side of the text box, then the arrow at what looks like a camera, then “delete draft”.

I discovered only by seeing in the reply box posts I thought had deleted, that this system keeps your type unless you tap on the three vertical dots at the upper right side of the text box, then the arrow at what looks like a camera, then “delete draft”.
Thanks. Never knew how to remove the text. Other than highlighting and hitting delete.

I had some Carl Budding thin sliced meat and put it in a bowl ... salmon cake leftovers and other deli meats I find discounted ...
Please don't feed her seasoned human foods -- those meats usually have a high salt content, and salt is very bad for cats.

It was wonderful of you to take the poor little girl in!

I'll have to find something healthier for her that she will eat. She really loves that stuff though. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.

I'd like to find a cat food that is formulated for what a cat needs to be healthy.....that a cat will eat. This one likes canned tuna packed in water and some of Krogers "Pet Pride" Tuna, Chicken, Turkey in a thick gravy. (cat all but swallows the envelope it comes in) Cats seem to like gravy quite well.

I named her "Midnight" She has nearly white skin, black dominate fur with orange undertones. A perfect Halloween Cat.
She's beautiful! And you are awesome for taking her in!!!!

You may already be aware, but wanted to share in case you are not--people food can cause pancreatitis in cats. Vomiting and loss of appetite are symptoms. Once they have a bout of pancreatitis, they are more likely to have additional bouts.

I was a veterinary technician for many years before getting into Computers and Information Technology. :)

I'll have to find something healthier for her that she will eat. She really loves that stuff though. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.
Many cats that love canned food with oils and or gravy will eat frozen raw food. It is a bit pricier than dry food or lesser quality canned stuff. I feed my girl Small Batch (that is the brand) frozen raw rabbit (she is allergy prone and developed an allergy to chicken protein, which is a much less expensive choice). There are plenty of less expensive options that are still good for your kitty.

A quality grain-free kibble such as Diamond, Stella & Chewy or PureVita have everything your cat needs to remain healthy. The grain free cat food that Costco carries is actually made by Diamond pet food and you get 18 lbs for 23.99. I have a friend who buys this food and keeps it in an air tight container. It agrees with her cats--they do not have any dander and only throw up if they have a hair ball.

It's always a good idea to mix whatever Midnight is currently eating with any new food so she does experience any stomach or intestinal upset. When I had to change from chicken to rabbit for my cat, I used 3/4 old food to 1/4 new food for several days. If there is no stomach upset after 4 or 5 days, you can increase the new stuff slightly and repeat until Midnight is eating all of the new food with no issues. It took me about two or three weeks to transition my girl from chicken to rabbit.

When Midnight is on the food that works best for her, she will be more energetic and playful, her coat will look even more amazing than it does now, and she will have no dander and will only vomit if she has a hair ball or ingests something else she shouldn't (plants, for example).

Thanks Willow, I have a better idea now. Here in Appalachia pets tend to get what people have as scraps and left overs. It's kind of a food desert here and getting worse since Covid.

But I'll be looking around locally for those brands and checking out Amazon for it too. Anymore Amazon is the go to for people here like Sears Roebuck's Catalog was 100 years ago.

Midnight only gets two or three of those paper thin slices a couple times a day. It seems to be her favorite thing that she will predictably eat......so far. When I made some salmon cakes and gave her part of one she had quite a reaction......looking at me like....."Where did that come from....got any more". The look on her face was that of surprise and delight.

She loves getting in my Van and exploring in it. I don't know if she would travel well or not......even if she has ever been in a car while on the road. She stays close to home and follows me like a puppy dog when I'm outside. She will find places to sit and watch while I mow the yard and when I walk to my yard chair under a dogwood tree she will take off bounding towards that spot like she's overjoyed. (more like a kitten) I have a pet brush from Dollar Tree and it has become one of her favorite forms of attention that I lavish on her. It's almost intoxicating for her. I think she's had a very good and loving life so far and I hope to continue providing it for her.

I have more experience with dogs than I do cats. Cats always intrigued me but the women of my family (when I was growing up) claimed that they were allergic to them. So I never had cats close by to learn much about them.

I thank everyone for their contributions and tips as I'm sure Midnight would as well.

Medium-rare salmon with nothing else added will not do her any harm on an occasional basis. : ) It's awesome that she enjoys being brushed, many cats can get overstimulated with too much brushing or petting and will snap at or bite the hand in question. ;)

Even though my cat is an awesome traveler, any time I have a new car or camper, I take her out to the new vehicle and spend time with her in the vehicle just playing, letting her bird watch . . . without moving the vehicle at first.

I'm not sure what Amazon has in the way of cat toys, but I have not met a cat yet that doesn't absolutely love a wand toy (the wand is for you to hold) and a string with two feathers at the bottom of it. When you move the wand side to side, the two feathers flutter through the air at the end of their string and very closely resemble a flying bird. You always want to allow the cat to catch and chew on the feathers a little bit, or this no pay off. You will probably also find that allowing her to catch the "bird" will prompt her to eat some of whatever you have in a bowl or dish for her. When they hunt and catch something, their DNA tells them to eat, even if it's a fake bird. ;)

Midnight sounds like a very happy, healthy, loving companion. Supervising humans at anything they do is a cat's favorite past-time. Sitting on papers of any kind is part of the wiring, as is sitting on your hands or patting them if you have been at the phone or computer for too long. ;)

When I was still working, I had a super long conference call every two weeks. For one of those calls, I had numerous jewelry projects on my dining room table, all of which I covered with dish towels to keep my cat from freeing the beads. After about an hour and 45 minutes, my cat got on the table and put her front legs under each dish towel and swept every single bead onto the floor. I was still finding 3mm beads a year later, they had become lodged between the boards in my flooring. :D

I think you will have a great time being a cat mom, they are unique critters with great personalities. I love dogs too; this particular cat will not allow any dogs into her space or life, so I do not currently have any dogs, lol. It wouldn't be fair to either of them.