Should I remove extra windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sctrlvr

Reaction score
The stock windows in my shuttle are not unattractive but my question is, would they be much different to cover and insulate, over replacing them with aluminum sheet? My interior design covers several of the original windows so insulation is a must, but is removing them the smarter thing to do?

I've seen many builds with metal sheeting where windows were replaced, and don't particularly like the appearance. That said, if I'm looking for trouble by keeping the glass, I'll pull them.

Attachments

• 20170918_170053_1516488414923_001.jpg
    20170918_170053_1516488414923_001.jpg
    808.1 KB
"how will you use it"

that comes to mind when asking if you wanna modify your rig.

does being parked and hiding in plain sight appeal to you or will you mostly be camping at campgrounds and blm, etc

maintaining the OEM look with windows would help you park and be inside without being hassled IMO

In my particular way of using my rig I would maintain the windows and insulate them with a ceramic coating (tint) on the inside, then a small inch gap, then some gated plastic window inserts then insulation, then whatever finished material you want to look at (fabic, wood, cabinet, etc)

happy modding

Thanks for the advice,

I'm planning to explore BLM and National Forests as much as possible, and some campgrounds for the rest. "Stealth" camping in the cities doesn't appeal to me, though it may be a necessity on occasion.

As long as it's not detrimental for insulation, I'll keep the OEM appearance if I can.

Appreciate the reply,
Respects.

Whatever you decide put in the windows, the side facing the window should be black to help with aesthetics when the sun is shining directly on them. The appearance would be a tinted window, not seeing what is behind it.

My main concern would be where will the condensation on the inside of the window go, will you be able to maintain the seals without acess to the inside and how old and are the seals leaking now? If you get a broken window glass how will you replace it? You should br aware that windows do require maintenance and it is often easier and cheaper to trade for a vehicle without windows if you haven't started building already. I have replaced school bus windows with sealed sheet metal before insulating and building out. It is a big job.

The condensation from the windows goes to the same place the condensation from the walls go. The seals are a different story. I think most auto type glass is put on (in?) from the outside. The shuttle glass may be different though.

All viable points. This is what I was looking for.

I could see the window seals being a problem in the future, though how far I couldn't guess. Access to both sides may be necessary for proper replacement.

Certainly things to consider.

another thing, I wouldn't try it unless you could make it look like it came from the factory like that. nothing says come check me out to a Law Officer as a hack job. highdesertranger

I had factory tinted windows in my one ton Ford high top extended and it really opens up the space.

I would leave them and make a removable insulated panel on the inside so you have access if it is ever needed. It also allows for further modification in later years should you want to rearrange the interior configuration.

By the way, the only time you get condensation behind the walls or paneling is if moisture gets inside the walls. Take your time and create a good vapor barrier to keep the moisture out of that area and it won't be an issue. Of course if the window is not airtight then you will have a condensation issue if you enclose the area in which case leave it open so it can dry out. Think through all the "what if" scenarios, write down a list of them, make a note of the possible issues. Then go back and see if there are viable solutions. That way you will end up with hopefully one or two good choices to meet your needs.

Then should teach better ways of learning to do problem solving and troubleshooting starting in elementary schools. It would make life so much easier for people who have trouble making decisions as it would teach them how to make informed decisions.

Thanks for the suggestions and no thanks for the backhanded wise crack. It was not needed.

As I'd hoped, I found some good advice here. Thanks!

I hope to see you all on the road one day.

I would keep the window glass in place. The seals will not be a problem for many years. Those shuttle bus windows are replaced from the outside. I used a light gray drapery from Walmart. Labeled as 'light blocking'. I fastened to the inside of the windows frames, just loose against the glass, and it looks real nice from the outside.

you shouldn't have any problem with condensation if you do something similar to me as I never intend my interior panels on the windows to be 'sealed'

I can't add anything to this discussion but have a question about shuttle bus windows and hope it is ok to ask here.  As far as removing the windows.

Can one of these shuttle bus windows be flipped or rotated 180 degrees so that the top slider part is on the bottom of the window frame?  Wondering if the dimensions are equidistant if that is the proper term.  Also if the gasket on a ~20 y.o. bus can generally be reused.  And how hard is it to pop one of these windows out and reinstall?

asking b/c i have a dog who likes to ride in back and poke his nose out the window for some fresh air...  sorry i did not intend to hijack but have been wondering about this..

If removing and replacing glass get new seals. Cheap insurance.

could someone post a picture of the inside of one of these windows. from the outside most of them appear to be RV type windows. highdesertranger

I've really been interested in shuttles lately. Do you have a build thread? This window discussion is one I'm very interested in.

You also mentioned a metal replacement for the windows. Is the body not fiberglass?

This one is aluminum out and in, accept for the ceiling which is carpet, 3/8 plywood and 1" styrofoam.
I believe best results dictates to skin over with more aluminum sheet.
Weighing my options, time/trouble/cost VS benefit/appearance.

Haven't made a thread, didn't think my slow progress would be entertaining. Havin' fun though. Got my stove in.

I like the idea of turning the windows over.

Latest posts