Should I keep this tent (split from throwing Stuff Away)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenTiger

Reaction score
Hi all -- hoping for some good advice.  I am thinking of getting a trailer, haven't decided on the tow vehicle yet.

In my heap of stuff to donate / sell is an old popup tent.

I think Bob Wells wrote that he keeps a tent for holding a good campsite when out with the van.  Is there a good reason for me to keep this old tent, if I have a trailer?  Or can I let it go?  I worry.  Thanks for your help.

I think several vandwellers do carry a tent for one of many reasons. Bob pointed out in a blog post about his van being in the shop overnight up on the lift. One of his options (which he ended up NOT needing) was to take his tent to a camping area and sleep in the tent since his van was not available.

I believe Suanne puts out her tent as storage for her "stuff" when she is camped using her Prius and to sometimes have more room to change clothes, etc.

I can only offer up what I would do in your situation. I'd first evaluate if there is a downside to holding on to the tent until you have your vehicle and your trailer ready to go. Is the tent not easy to store? Is there a problem in donating it later when or if you are sure you don't need it?

Thanks, WriterMS.  There's no real downside to holding on to the tent for awhile.  I'm just looking for the easy decisions on what to sell / donate / give away first.  It's been nagging at me that the tent could be useful on the road, even with a trailer, and I figured someone here might say "it was wonderful to have when x happened."  But if my rig did break down, at this stage I'd rather sleep in a motel than a tent.

I don't want it taking up precious travel space if not needed.  But I will give it a temporary reprieve from the donation pile, for a few weeks. 

Thanks again!

I carry a tent with me and don/t regret it. Here are ome reasons why:

1) If the van is in the shop. Right now I'm camped with a friend who blew the motor in his van, he's sleeping in my tent right now!!! He took it in today (Tuesday) and it should be done by Friday, but if it takes longer, which is real easy to do, then it wont be done before Monday, almost a week. That's a lot of money on a Motel. He has two dogs, even more money!!
2) You can set it up to hold your spot when boondocking--which is a very good thing!
3) I've been to places where they insisted you have a tent to be there. They didnt care if I slept in the van, but I had to set up the tent.
4) You can loan it to friends in any of these situations--I'm doing that now.
5) if you have guests, it's a guest room.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!
Bob

What everyone else said :) 

I currently live in an apt. I have a  4x4 Ford Ranger, a Viking pop-up trailer, and a sleeps 4 dome tent.   I don't think I can ever have too many shelter options.   I just learned this week-end that the ceiling will have to come down in the pop up.........where it's sitting at a friends place there  is a bedroom for my use.........it's a 40 mile round trip, so I may just take the tent, air mattress, cooler,  and p bucket and "rough it" in the yard.   Saving time and gas while doing repairs.  It's been years since I've camped and I need to see if I can get up and down off of bed on the ground and Queenie hasn't been camping in her life........talk about a pampered pooch!

In the past when down sizing to move anywhere from  600 to 1,000 miles,  I have gotten rid of things that I ended up needing and had to replace.  I have found that it is often way easier to jettison items than to replace them.    Only an individual can truly determine what to keep and what to let go of.........what has value to me may have no worth to another.                                TJB

Tjaybird said:
... I have found that it is often way easier to jettison items than to replace them.    Only an individual can truly determine what to keep and what to let go of.........what has value to me may have no worth to another.                                TJB

thanks, Tjaybird, true words about the value of a thing

though I am not finding it easy to jettison much

akrvbob said:
Just bear in mind, you might have it for years and never use it, is that okay?
Bob

well, I've already kept it for years past the last use ... I set it up this year and amazingly, the elastic still works

I just thought of the perfect use for the tent -- for when I'm boondocking! I can set up the tent in the site next to mine so no one will camp there. Obviously this would only be when there are plenty of empty sites.

Because the people who camp right next to someone else, when there are plenty of empty sites, tend to be the loud talking, generator running, obnoxious campers.

I recently donated all of my camping gear & backpack to a Gospel Mission homeless shelter. These folks need it more than I do.

I have two tents currently because I camp a lot and sometimes my sister or a friend need one. I have an 8 person tent that I will donate once I move into a van because it's a little bigger and would take up precious space in a van. But I will keep my 4 person tent because it's little and compact and I'd like to keep one on hand for any of the situations above and it won't take up too much space. It's worth the piece of mind for me to hang onto it.

Maybe hang onto it for a bit and then once you figure out your lifestyle you will be able to better determine if it's worth keeping or not. It's a personal decision.

I will have an easy up with walls, window and a door. It will be a tent when I camp someplace I "should" have a tent. It will serve as a kitchen space, Elements are little. It will keep my spot when I go to town for groceries. I will be able to sleep in it if need be.