Should I fix it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This truck has deep sentinel value to me and I plan on making any repairs no matter the costs to keep it on the road, however I am looking into getting another vehicle (a van) within the next year and building it out after making it mechanically sound.

TravelingZombies said:
This truck has deep sentinel value to me and I plan on making any repairs no matter the costs to keep it on the road, however I am looking into getting another vehicle (a van) within the next year and building it out after making it mechanically sound.
I think I read that it was your father's truck...is that correct? There's no way to put a price on sentimental value, that's for sure. I could see where another vehicle could preserve this one, which I assume is why you'd like to get one. A van might be roomier as well.

Rock Auto list a new rear drive shaft. Also drive shafts can be rebuilt shops that do that type of work are common in agricultural areas. Also Rock Auto list a whole bunch of new and rebuilt alternators. Sounds like you need some lessons in part sourcing. Once you figure out the factory part number do an internet search for that part, a lot of times you can find the factory part brand new on Ebay or even Amazon. Highdesertranger

I'm familiar with rock bottom I've ordered from them before however my rear drive line had a CV joint built into it which they don't make anymore. I've done junk yards with my dad since I was like seven and I do plan on stopping up with this junkyard outside of Vegas that supposedly has parts for every vehicle imaginable and pick up some hard to find items for my truck. Because of the wear and tear and Miles I put on my vehicle I'd get most of my work done at a national chain repair shop so that the work is under warranty and that has saved my butt a number of times. Since we first started on June 2nd to current I put over 11,000 miles on the truck.  :D
The alternator had no part number stamped on it or any sticker or sign it there ever was one neither I or the dealership couldn't find anything.

I just had a driveshaft built for my 44 year old Chevy it had a CV joint and it was no issue at a drive line shop. My Chevy is 10 years older than your truck and I can find any part for it I want Many brand new. I also notice some of the ones at Rock Auto have CV joints. But I still would have gone to a drive line shop. Highdesertranger

Driveline shops and alternator/starter shops will be your best friends.

I agree totally here. Especially the driveline shop. I’m bringing my rear shaft in this week and getting three joints replaced, new hanger bearing and have it balanced for just over $300. I had just put in a remanufactured tranny a year ago and a bad ujoint took out the rear seal already. I’m not messing around. That dang ZF6 tranny was expensive!
same with a good auto electric shop. I’ve replaced to many alternators warranting them out. Granted I put a lot of miles on (pushing 400,000 since 2013) but I had it fail a couple times in the last year. Just that a good auto electric shop isn’t as easy to find as it once was. (Notice I said a good one).
we live in a pretty good time for this now with the help of YouTube videos and such. But the day is coming where some of what once was simple fixes are getting to be nightmares. I dread buying a newer truck as I don’t want to pay to have my cab pulled every time you have to do about anything.

kklowell said:
 Fixing his old truck was a false economy.
Some people have blind spots.   I learned the hard way as a child who suffers when someone lies to themself.

Took the truck up to get the lower ball joint on the driver side replaced, had to reschedule because the steering knuckle is seized up on the parts I need to take out. So on the 2nd I go back up there and they're going to work on it then and I'll have the money in case I need a new steering knuckle. Couple items I feel are fairly important for traveling at 70 miles an hour down the freeway, don't think it would be enjoyable to lose control of steering with those speeds.