Should i buy it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justdon

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/750147615439333/?ref=messenger_banner
Being very new to the forum and camping I decided to purchase a van and I found this one it looks very good and from all I have been reading the astro is a good pick I saw people making camping vans out of these and doing it very easy for a very inexpensive price I was amazed at some of the people on you tube that made campers out of them and for somebody like me who is not a handyman type it seems like a good choice.But I have a few questions it has 263000 miles and there is a humming in the rear of the van.I talked to the mechanic that does my work and he said for the humming sometimes you can just change the oil in it or you can buy a kit to repair and replace parts.He also said with good maintenance astros with the 4.3 engines can go 300 or even 400 thousand miles.So if there is anyone that has one or what is anybodies opinion on it.He asked for $850 I offered $680 he said he would take it.So he went out of town and said he will be back Saturday. Should I buy it or pass on it.

A humming reared likely means it needs replaced. Rearend gears need to be repaired by someone more experienced then a general mechanic and will cost $1000 or more. 
 Pass on this van and save up money.

Thank you that's why I asked I had my doubts.Better I got my money in my hand than somebody else out having a good time with it.

lots of miles bad rear end = pass. while the 4.3 is a good engine getting 400k out of it is overly optimistic in my book. for the rear end getting a junk yard one is usually a better option unless you plan on spending some serious coin. it's even getting hard to find someone who actually knows how to build one.

highdesertranger

That is not a 1997 Chevrolet Astro Passenger Minivan, they were made from 1985 through 2005. Justdon, are you a mechanic? If your not or are not mechanically inclined, don't buy this van. My 2cents worth.

The last time I looked at a calendar 1997 was 12 years after 1985 and 8 years before 2005. Which means it was made during that age range. Oh well we all get a bit confused now and again. No big deal.

LMAO! You're right. I thought it was 1967, so you can understand my confusion. Hey, you get older, and the eyes go to hell in a handbasket. Ever tried using bi-focal's with an LCD computer screen?  :blush:

Hey Justdon,

I bought a 95 Astro conversion van back in May that only had 42K on it.  I also wanted an Astro van but it took me months to find this van.  I suggest you continue to look, and look nationwide on craigslist.  Low mileage Astro vans are out there, you just have to keep looking.

I think the van you are looking at has too many miles on it to be reliable transportation that you will be living in.  Keep looking, they are out there

I will still keep looking.I have had neighbors tell me ford aerostars can be good.But I will try not to act on impulse and just be patient as my sister says something is out there you just have to find it.

I think you are wise to pass this van up.Keep looking.Good luck.