Shore Power Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All inverters use power to make AC. This happens with or without a load. Some inverters are more efficient than others. Not sure how this one compares to others. I just switch mine off when I don't need AC power.

A built in load transfer switch is the easiest because it makes wiring simpler and manages switching automatically. It can be done externally and manually. The important thing - don't connect the output of the inverter to shore power. Your AC loads should be either connected to shore power or your inverter output, not both at the same time. An appropriately rated DPDT switch could do this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Brands blurb

Xantrex is good but terrible CS attitude.

Magnum is the best, also Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner but pricey.

Samlex and Tripplite solid middle ground.

I've also heard Morningstar is good.

Not nothing though. Some fridges use that much in mild weather

John61CT said:
Not nothing though. 

lol....with 1200 watts of solar input and the large power drain of the AC unit, 5 watts is comparatively miniscule.

And you can turn it off if needed. 

What are the standby/sleep ratings of all the units you posted?

I was wondering about using a couple inverters.

All I have that will be AC is a laptop and I think I can get a DC charger for it. I have a little quad battery charger for electronic cig batteries and the air conditioner. However, I'm still undecided what to do for a stove, propane or electric.

How do you decide what size ProNauticP charger?

Can you reference an automatic transfer switch? So I know what I should be looking for.

tx2sturgis said:
lol....with 1200 watts of solar input and the large power drain of the AC unit, 5 watts is comparatively miniscule.
It's not 5 watts, it's 5 amps for the AIMs unit I was looking at.
Multiply that by 24 hours and that's 120 amps. Even if you turn on/off if you forget to turn off overnight that's 40 amps. Something that is more efficient and could auto shut off would be cool.

RogerD said:
It's not 5 watts, it's 5 amps for the AIMs unit I was looking at.

5 watts (less than one amp at 12 volts) sleep mode for the GoPower unit. That's the one I was referring to.

Charger sizing, added to avg / max concurrent load amps

FLA and GEL .15-.2C
AGM .2-.6C

LFP 1C is fine if BMS allows.

Temp comp / protection assumed