shopping for induction cooktop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right. Gotcha. I read in the questions section that NO the 200w setting wasn't constant and it does use 1800w in the cycle on 200w setting so the inverter would need to be rated for that. But looking at the numbers absolute worst case scenario and it was a constant 1800w it would use 100Ah to run for 21 mins. That while being a huge load I think is still doable. One of the threads someone posted their experience with running a microwave and the amount of power used vs induction cooktop of similar wattage. An induction cooktop WOULD be on more than 3mins but the science seems to be fairly consistent with what my numbers came up with. And that was expecting a constant state at 1800w, not cycling. So with 500w of solar and a good sunny day if you used it early enough in the day I think this might be a viable option for cooking.

My 6 year old Aorma inductive hob finally gave up it's smoke. My new Duxtop 8100MC sucks. It has 10 settings range, but #1 is warm and #2 it too hot. same with temperature settings, 140d boils and next 210 burns. I had it sitting around for when old one failed, so too long to return. It is just junk and I am very sorry I bought it. I will look for a different brand.

Oh that's rotten luck indeed. Sorry to hear that. Given your experience with the old one I'd like to ask was it 1500 watt or 1800 watt? Also I assume you used it off grid. What sort of draw on your batteries did you see? Lead acid or lithium? Thanks.

maki2 said:
My understanding is that the power that determines high heat and low heat is done by timed pulsrs of energy. The amount of power to createc a pulse does not vary, it how quickly the pulses come that varies. So if you are talking about what inverter you need then the answer is you need one that can handle the rating of the unit. Turning the unit down to low heatheat does not change the current it takes to produce each and every one of the pulses. Those pulses are each one of them exactly the same amoiunt of power. High heat is more of them closer together, low heat the are spread further apart in time.  This is much different than how heat is controlled on one of the coils on an electric stove, skillet, crock pot, etc.
maki2.......you explained that very well, I was wondering how they reduced the power setting, the industry needs to come up with a new name  for an "engineering unit" to represent the actual RMS power of of pulsed power .

Ya'll got me interested in induction cooktops now. I use an old Coleman 2 burner white gas stove and the fumes are bad so you obviously have to vent, which takes lots of heat out of van in the winter. I'm thinking the induction cooktop will help keep heat during the winter and not add as much heat during the summer. I also haven't seen anyone talk about how easy it is to clean these things. It's not so fun cleaning up messes on a gas camp stove.

any that i have seen, just need to wiped down after use. if not wiped down after each use, they can get very greasy and food slopped. don't ask how i know.