Shelter dogs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
Since nomads are the kindest people as a group I know I’ll pass along what I read that shelters are desperate to have people foster animals for the duration of this virus. You might not have the room or the finances ( I don’t) but if you do please consider. I know my local shelter secretly euthanizes healthy  dogs. It’s an open secret and I’m afraid with no oversight they will do it even more. If you feel the need to self isolate an animal companion is excellent company and provides security in exchange for food. Just a thought.

I need a dog. I’ve been waiting for the right one to find me.

I looked at my local shelter’s website for my last dog. Never had done that before and I found the dog of my heart there. The love of my life. I miss him every day and it’s been 7 months tomorrow. Maybe try that.

My Little Guy came to me last month from the local shelter and he may be the best dog I have ever had. I was waiting for a puppy from a breeder when he fell into my lap and life. The money I had planned on spending on a puppy was donated to the shelter.

I had the best dog in the world and when he died years ago I just couldn’t bring myself to replace him. I’m so afraid I won’t get a really good dog.

I look around and see people that have to leash their dogs or they might do something or run away. I just don’t want that kind of dog.

I want a dog that will stay right with me.

Cammalu,

I do so understand about the leash thing but I ALWAYS have my dog on a regular leash, not the retractable kind, along with a heavy duty harness, not just a collar, which seems extreme with my small breed dogs. The reason? Because more than a few times, in cities, parks, campgrounds we have been charged or attacked by other dogs that were running loose. When that happens, I pull my little dog by the leash/harness completely off the ground and up into my arms. It works or at least it has so far, including three days ago just a block from my house. I am so done with dogs off leash and running loose that have come after us that I now carry pepper spray and am just an inch away from carrying a gun. Or a big heavy stick or steel rod.

If you use that stick or rod on the stupid owner I agree. I know that once and a while one must defend themselves from a mean out-of-control dog, but after you do go find the owner and give them a taste of that rod too.

Always keep your dog on a leash. For many reasons. A good one is that the off-leash dog will be legally at fault. If both dogs are off-leash and the other one starts the owner will argue and you won’t have proof. My 80 lb leashed Pit got taken down 4 times by an 11 lb off-leash dog. He was old and arthritic and couldn’t defend himself but regardless it was the other dog’s fault. My neighbor’s husband was walking their dog and it got attacked by an off-leash dog leading to a $13,000 surgery paid by the off-leash dog’s owner in exchange for not insisting on euthanasia.

I have a friend who is a bird vet and the parrot on the shoulder thing makes him crazy. He calls it the Long John Silver Syndrome. He tells his clients to keep their birds leashed. One day one of his pirate clients walked out of the vet practice and the bird got spooked jumped into traffic and was killed.

Regardless of how well behaved a dog is they are still unpredictable and should always be leashed. Another store I frequent their dog one day after 6 years suddenly ran out of the store into traffic-no reason. They decided to treat him but it’s been over $10,000. and the dog still has neurological issues, a limp and pain.
Please keep your dogs on a leash. Especially in rattlesnake country.

I don't know if fostering would work for me. They would have a hard time getting them back.
My dog is a shelter find. She has been with me for the last 12 years. I understand that there are problem dogs, but most of them got that way by being with problem people.

Won't dogs have to be quarantined as they can get/give the corona virus?