Anyone looking for a 35 lb companion?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
Shelters are closed in Los Angeles and people are dumping their dogs in parking lots, on streets everywhere. Usually we are able rehome them but someone dumped a little Pittie (Pit Bull) Brindle with a white chest in a parking lot in the heat. He’s adorable between 35-40 lbs. Sweetheart but doesn’t like cats or big dogs. Seems indifferent to small dogs (I had a 25 lb Cairn Terrier who was like that) The shelters have taken the opportunity to euthanize as many dogs as possible mostly Pits and Chihuahuas. I’m living in a tiny crowded Honda CRV with a 60 lb Pocket (mini LOL) Pit Bull or I’d take him in a second. He’s young, I’d doubt more than a year or two.If you want a little but tough, rugged travel companion who will cuddle at night. Please let me know. I don’t have him but since the shelters are closed and rescues are overwhelmed I don’t know what will happen. Praying hard for this little guy.

No because of the cat thing and not liking bigger dogs. He’s small for a Pit. I’ve had several dogs that had to be the only animal but I understand people are concerned. People are dumping their dogs daily in parking lots, streets and on the freeways daily.

My friend wanted him but has a disabled cat who can’t jump.

Update: his foster parents will keep him until he finds a home. The cat and large dog aggression are a concern for a travel companion so I’m glad he has a home. Hard to find a small Pit so hopefully someone will want him. 

I should add I travel with a mini (haha) Pit Bull (she’s tiny and weighs 60 lbs my friend says she’s built like a tank-I call her my chunky nugget) but she has a high prey drive so I know you have to be careful. She’s not aggressive but gets excited easily and I do watch her and she is always on leash. But it’s absolutely doable. I have read some people don’t want to travel with dogs but she actually seems to be a positive as people react well to her and are very friendly when they see her. I feel much safer with her around and Pits are not barkers unless she feels someone is a threat so she doesn’t make noise at night.

Yep, and I don’t want to start a fight here but mine was attacked by a 2 year old, 65 lb pit mix last year, and it was the most frightening thing I have ever experienced.

The dog had also attacked another dog a couple of months prior, unbeknownst to me.

They couldn’t control her, she couldn’t control herself and when the time came that the electric shock collar they thought would stop another attack was needed it didn’t even phase her.

Fortunately, one of the owners was present along with me, or at least one of us may have ended up dead. My dog required veterinary care, but not stitches.

Her owners finally got some training, for the dog and for themselves.

It is a shame the shelters are closed. I know the Humane Society Shelter in Seattle will place dogs that have problems with other dogs in cast in foster homes where they put a lot of effort into helping "socialize" the dog to overcome those types of issues. With a young dog such things can quite often be resolved. Quite often it requires not just the right human to train the dog but also the right cats and other dogs involved in the retraining process.

My friend had a pit bull mix that was a rescue dog, just under two years old. When I got a Siamese kitten the first thing he did was try to kill it. He was generally OK with other dogs but not always but that is not unusual for dogs. We worked with him and he learned to respect the cat's personal space. I eventually got a second Siamese cat and the first day he came home as a kitten he showed that dog he was not going to tolerate any nonsense from him such as putting his face anywhere close to his. The cats and dog never did play or cuddle with each other but they enjoyed watching each others antics and the one cat liked to hang out and sit near the dog but made the dog obey the cat's rule for proper "social distancing" behavior. When my friend got a standard poodle the cats also trained that dog how to behave as of course did us humans.

Some dogs can not be remedially trained but I have had experience doing that with a rescue pit bull who wanted to attack cats. I could not have done it without the help of the cats.

As far as Pit Bull attacks my last Pit Bull who was as sweet as any dog ever used to get attacked all the time. Four times by an 11 lb little white fluff and four times he went down limping. A couple of times by the family’s other dog a 100 lb bear like mix. Almost killed him. A Jack Russell went over to him and Sam tries to lick his teeth (a sign of submission in dogs) and the dog bit him. Once more and the dog almost ripped his lip off. I finally got all my strength and yanked the Jack Russell off him. Sam was 80 lbs and other than the bear dog outweighed all the rest. My Pit before him Jazz also 80 lbs was constantly bullied by other dogs. Every freaking time someone brought a little dog into the big dog park it would go after her endlessly as long as a half hour and she’d just ignore it. Out of 8 years I want to say she probably defended herself against attacks three or four times. Never did she start it. The only dog in a long list that ever was dog aggressive was my Cairn Max and that was only with big dogs.
Lists of aggressive dogs and dog bites Pit Bulls are low on the list. The problem is when they do bite they do the most damage hence the bad rep. And yes animal aggression can be trained out with a lot of work and knowledge of what you’re doing. My current Pit has never started but will defend herself.
I understand the hype around Pit Bulls and how no other dog bites are ever written about which scares people and I’m so sorry because you’re missing out on a wonderful breed. In my mother’s million dollar suburb you can see lots of late middle aged dumpy glasses wearing ladies (which perfectly describes me too) walking Pits and Pit mixes. They love them. They are slowly being discovered by dog lovers and people who want shelter dogs. Yes, sadly a lot of young guys who aren’t man enough on their own mistreat this breed and encourage bad behavior. But the US probably has a million Pits living safely in homes. I know you aren’t fighting and neither am I and I am so sorry you went through that terrible experience. All I ask is that you keep an open heart and give them a chance.
If that dog had attacked once that was enough. Either it gets trained or euthanized. Not defending violent dogs at all.

I know some folks who love their pits. I am not a pit lover, just because I want dogs who can take the cold better then the pits. So I feel the same about other thin furred doggies. I also feel that there are some breeds that should not go to homes of first time dog owners and homes with some kids. If you are a first timer look to get something else. If your kid might not be best with a pit, don't get one. Our 100 + pound dog has a high prey drive we keep him on a leash out and about, but his job at home is to keep the deer and prowlers off the property. Local Meth heads don't like him. Mail man loves him. He seems to know the difference. I hope this guy of yours finds a good fit and has a wonderful life. Same for all the doggies in the shelters. I can't imagine life with out a dog.

WanderingRose said:
....one terrifying experience with a pit bull is the limit....
Too true. German shepherd dogs usually love me, and also great danes, but pitbulls do not. Even the "sweet" pitbulls give me that sideways look. There was one pit about 95 yo in dog years that just ignored me. That's the best I can do with pitbulls. 
-crofter

I feel that way about German Shepherds even though I had one and had a Pit/Shepherd mix. Only dogs that scare me. Too wolfy. I almost got attacked in the dog park by one for no reason, took a dislike to me and ever since I’m leery. I try not to feel fear around them but they aren’t my favorite breed.

I have a few favorite breeds and a few 'nope not for me breeds'. What is everyone's favorite breeds. Me, I like big dogs. Rotties, Labs, retrievers, shepherds, I really want a Poodle, Portuguese water dogs, Golden otter hounds, they don't shed and I have had a wonderful Akita mix and a great Karlian Bear Dog, Several wonderful mutts. I still miss my mutt that greeted me after work every night. I had a tiny little terrier of some kind left at my house with out warning by a visitor, she found a great home with someone else eventually. We as a family have had Basset hounds, Australian Shepard, a Golden Retriever and even more temporary mutts. Love the neighbors Great Danes, but they don't do cold very well. never had a German shepherd. Always wanted a deer hound but I'm afraid they may just be to big, even for me. We had a regular play group once at the doggy park and there was a wolf mix that showed up a couple times a week. Great dog, but not for first time dog owner he was owned by a dog trainer, A good one.
So what about you?

I like bigger breeds. I’m just tired of the shorter lifespan although I’m noticing with better vet care larger dogs are living almost as long as little dogs used to. But I have to say I’d fall in love with any dog I had even a Chihuahua or Pom. LOL My GSD/Pit was the smartest dog I ever had.
Yeah big dogs. My current Pit is a mini, “little” but 60 lbs built like a tank. Luckily because she’s a mini people don’t know what she is unless they know dogs.

kind of obvious that i am an austrailian shepard fan. have also had malamutes but now a confirmed aussie person
39D08624-001A-46A6-A312-EF463FDB4B87.jpeg

Attachments

• 39D08624-001A-46A6-A312-EF463FDB4B87.jpeg
    39D08624-001A-46A6-A312-EF463FDB4B87.jpeg
    683.9 KB · Views: 6
Tav I don’t think you have enough. You need a few more. ? I don’t imagine anyone would every break into your house.

My sister had the perfect dog.

Half pit and half yellow lab.

A real sweetheart unless someone messed with sis.

Medium size but had the lab bark so was a good watch dog.

my sis had a rotten pit 1/2 rotie 1/2 pit. huge funny dog with a deadly tail wag. He left bruises when he wagged. And he was very protective of her and her family. But the kids could do anything to her. Great dog.

Latest posts