Sewing Machine Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh those featherweight 221's are going for a lot of money, at least in Atlanta...

That reminds me SASSYPICKiNS offered me a sewing lesson i never collected where is she anyhoo, i have a singer featherweight in the box BTW that missed lesson was my fault she was ready I was not thanks girl

sometimesido said:
Gosh those featherweight 221's are going for a lot of money, at least in Atlanta...

Featherweights are not cheap, but if one wants a top quality, brilliantly engineered, portable machine with over 80 years of proven dependability--that's what you want if you can manage it.  Since I received mine in 1956, it has never malfunctioned or given the least trouble.  I still have my original owners manual, but these are available online for download. 

For anyone *certain* to require/desire a small, dependable work horse machine your best bet, unless you get lucky at thrift store, etc, is EBAY.  Before you buy, go online & learn about Featherweights.  This will save you $$$.  And you will know what to buy.  The carry case is *good* to have for travel.  Some are sold without, some with.  You will also require a half dozen bobbins.  They can be bought on ebay separately, if needed.  Featherweights use normal, easily available Singer sewing machine needles.

Many other options are available, including rufflers, pleaters, button hole attachments, etc.  After all these decades, I have all of these but find I really don't need them.  My machine still has the original rubber drive belt it came with--& has never needed anything but an infrequent tension adjustment.  Your owners' manual explains *exactly* how to easily perform any required adjustments.  Otherwise, just Sew & Go!  Featherweights are mighty midgets.

Prices on Ebay vary a great deal, depending on cosmetic condition (even a small scratch reduces value to collectors) but you don't care about that!  You will pay more if it includes carry case &/or extra bobbins, etc.

I'm glad to answer any questions anyone may have. 
Charlotte

how heavy of material can it sew? most of my sewing is heavy weight material. highdesertranger

I've got a featherweight 221...............

I've been sewing "pockets" on the ends of Harbor Freight tarps to create the awning for the van....no problem 'cept for "material handling"

I also stitched some heavyweight boat tarp into some camp bags..........that's not quite two layers of heavy canvas

JewellAnn is getting a workhorse machine delivered soon ........................................doug

highdesertranger said:
how heavy of material can it sew?  most of my sewing is heavy weight material. 

Abnorm has offered some indications, but here are a few others from my own past projects:  I've successfully sewn thru two layers of dacron sail fabric, a double layer of garment weight (actual) suede, two layers of med weight upholstery leather, two layers of heavy weight cotton brocade upholstery fabric with a heavy cotton piping in the seam, a triple layer of heavy cotton denim, etc etc. 

You must learn first to adjust your stitch length & tension to the fabric(s) AND have the correct weight thread AND needle size.  Anyone beginning to sew would not want to start learning on anything but light weight scraps--even paper towels work.  Once, using the pleating attachment, I sewed up hundreds of yards of crepe paper for a huge pinata for a birthday party!

These Featherweights have a deserved cult following, thus you will find many good internet websites with all sorts of additional information. 

smile.gif
Charlotte

highdesertranger said:
how heavy of material can it sew?  most of my sewing is heavy weight material.  highdesertranger

I once sewed a canvas tent with my Featherweight. It was sewing machine abuse, but she lived through it and forgave me. However, on those flat-felled seams, I had to take it slow and turn the wheel by hand.

Sailors who make their own sails are known to use a Pfaff 130. Like the Featherweight, it is all-metal, beautifully machined, and has an external belt, so it can be converted to a treadle or a hand crank, which people mending their sails on small boats in the middle of the ocean often prefer. The Pfaff is a heavy beast to carry, but if you're sewing canvas, heavy is what you want.

The other option is a commercial machine, but I believe those need to be firmly anchored to the floor, which could be a problem for nomads. I don't really know much about them.

I don't think I can post a link yet, but if you google "bill dietrich boat sewing", you'll find a lot of good info.

BTW, a Singer 301 is basically the same as a Featherweight, and is often a lot cheaper. My mother gave me my Featherweight when I was 17, so I'll never get rid of it, but I also have a 301, and it is just as great a machine. If you're sewing "normal" fabric, you really can't do any better. I also have a basic Janome for zigzag stitches, and like it fine, but it will never last 50+ years the way the Featherweight and 301 (and the Pfaff 130) will.

But stay away from the machines you can buy at W*Mart for $150, whoever they're made by. The quality just isn't there.

I just ended up using my son's Singer 6160 for a bunch of drapes and 8 custom sized (Japanese buckwheat hull) pillow cases. My 50 year old steel Kenmore is somewhere in the back of the warehouse.

The damn thing wheezed, banged and clattered, but kept working. I did like the decorative stitching that I used for the pillowcase trim. Verdict? Next time I will find the Kenmore.
Ted

I plan on bring my Singer Featherweight with me when I finally have my van ready to hit the road. I am a quilter and this little baby is very portable and basic. It only does a straight stitch so keep that in mind when searching for a sewing machine for yourself.
I will have sewing projects that will need to be done while on the road plus some simple quilting projects too.

I knew a lady years ago who made a beautiful wedding dress on a Featherweight. I love my Janome Classmate converted to treadle. I’m always doing repairs and alterations for senior citizen friends and I enjoy taking thrift shop garments and remaking them into new clothes.

I have 4 machines I'm trying to figure out what to do with. I think my daughter wants one but so far she hasn't collected it. I have a Singer Featherweight I believe 1957 vintage (case, attachments, user manual etc), A Husqvarna not sure if it is a 400 or 500 model but it sure looks heavy duty, an old Kenmore cabinet machine that used those plastic cams for decorative stitching and an 1871 New Home treadle machine that was my great aunts. They all work. Maybe when I build my TT I can include that Kenmore built into a counter top somewhere so I can turn it upside down when not being used.

Singer Slant-O-Matic 401A. Or maybe a similar "Rockateer" (Sorry forgot it's number? 501?) Anyway.. you won't find a better piece of machinery on the planet. Only be Warned: You will never want to sew on anything else. :)
I still have my mom's 1959 model. SHE sewed for the public, I sewed for the public. Yeah. Find one, get it all dolled up and enjoy your life. :) Yes, they are the highest $ 50s/60s machines on Ebay.. but you must ask yourself "why". ;) Worth every penny.

I had an opportunity to work on some kind of Janome during open-air festival, and I think it was a good experience. It wasn't mine, I borrowed it to fix my skirt, so I can't remember exact serial number. But seems like it was 2212 https://wisepick.org/janome-sewing-machine-reviews if I'm not mistaken. Quite good choice for trip, I'd say. And itsn't too heavy for my poor arms)

I was thinking about getting something for smaller and more lightweight jobs (not quilting but maybe some curtain or seam sewing).

Has anyone ever used those handheld "as seen on tv" gadgets?

I'd like to have some kind of sewing capabilities when I hit the road. I don't want a full size sewing machine though. Just something to make repairs or do some light sewing (curtains, dividers, etc.,).

Has anyone ever tried those hand held sewing machines like the Haitral, Stingsew, or the Handy Stitch? (As Seen on TV!)

For those who also don't want a full sized sewing machine but want something more than a hand held one, there are tiny ones like the Meditool or the Dilib. (Google for images.)

I will definitely be taking my Singer Featherweight and sewing machine table in my van, when I get it. I'd rather have that, than a kitchen.

I would not need a sewing machine for doing mending. Hand sewing skills are perfectly good for mending, putting in hems, sewing small objects, etc. If you need to use a sewing machine and can't take one along due to space or weight there are options for an occassional use of one. Rental centers generally have them. Many senior centers also have craft rooms with a sewing machine. You don't have to be a senior to go into most senior centers. They ones I have been around welcome all ages. Just ask if you can use the machine and of course be willing to pay something for using it. They do need the financial help.

I stopped in at a local thrift store today while running errands and came across one of the little Janome mini sewing machines for $10.00. I plugged it in to make sure it ran and it did.

It was brand new, had never been used but the small post that holds the thread spool was missing. It is a very light weight machine, I have heard some good things about the brand and for $10.00 I was not going to have a significant loss if it did not perform well. Of course there were no instructions but that is not an issue because of youtube where you can see all about how to setup and use various sewing machines. So I watched a video, set it up, wound some thread on the bobbin, stuck a little dowel in the bobbin winding post to make a substitute thread spool holder and put a piece of cardstock under the presser foot to start testing it.

It actually sews very decently for a lightweight (5lbs) plastic machine that runs on a small 6 volt DC motor. It had no trouble stitching through two layers of denim. It does a decent zig zag, it does backstitch. There are several choices of length for straight stitch and a several width for zig zag. You can offset the straight stitch to one side for putting in zippers. You won't be making buttonholes easily as you can't make the zig zag stitches close together or do bar tacks.

The biggest draw back for someone who sews a lot is speed it is not fast, the other thing is you are not going to be able to put a lot of bulk of fabric in it. But that is OK when you consider lack of speed as a trade off for very ow weight and very small size. It works just fine for someone who is not in a hurry.

It will suit me fine to take along in case I have a few more projects I want to make for my RV. Things like tool rolls, storage bags, curtains, shade cloths, bug screens for the windows, etc. Plus mending and hemming chores or even an occasional sewing job for other RVers. Not a substitute for my heavy duty sewing machine which is literally very heavy, but it is acceptable for something to take on the road. No doubt there are better ones such as the vintage featherweights but for a $10.00 roll of the dice, take a chance, I am very pleased with my new thrift store bargain. I don't abuse tools so I am not overly worried about its life span.