Sewing, knitting, alterations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoolie's mom

Reaction score
What do you guys and gals think about making money via sewing, etc.?  I have some crazy-mad sewing and knitting skills, and have thought about trying to utilize those said skills to bring in money along the way.  I make soft toys, clothes, and all types of knit wear.

Would that appeal to a broad audience?  Do you believe there is a need for that type of thing? 

Regardless, I will continue my hobbies while on the road during downtimes, and figured if I could make a bit here and there, it would help out.

:)

The biggest problem with that is finding space for all the craft 'stuff' that you need.

I've already made plans for room for my two sewing machines to come along but part of that is because I make most of my own clothes. I need to break my habit of saving the leftover scraps though because they quickly add up to mounds of fabric.

Soft toys in particular require large quantities of stuffing to be kept on hand... :D  (Don't ask me how I know that... :p ) And multiple large cones of thread in every color on the rack at Joannes... :rolleyes:

What you can take with you will depend entirely on how much space you have to devote to it. I'm lucky I have a full size cargo van with extensive storage designed in to it and there's just me, no pet, no second person! And I'm willing to bet I'll still be scratching my head trying to figure out where everything can go!

When I sewed for a living while on the road, I had a cargo trailer that my supplies could go in as well as all my finished stock and show booth. But then I was making my living doing shows and markets so it was worth it to me.

The other problem is that if you're travelling fairly constantly and sightseeing along the way you end up with precious little time to devote to working on projects. Mapping, planning and living on the road takes up a lot of time that one has available for crafts while living in a home.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that the logistics of it all need to be carefully thought out both in the planning of the vehicle and while on the road.

As to the market for what you make, you might find an Etsy store more viable than depending on other travelers for a market. We are, by our very nature, minimalists who need little and have limited space. People run Etsy stores quite successfully while on the road. You can load items from anywhere and ship product anywhere there's a post office.

I think your best bet is doing repair/alterations for people rather than selling things. It's difficult to charge enough to cover your cost of materials and labor.

Most people are comparing your prices to the cheap stuff they can get from Walmart and there is no way you can compete with that.

The number of people willing to pay you as much as the quality of your products deserves goes down all the time.

If you do want to try it, I suggest emphasizing super-high quality and unique items that people are willing to pay any price for. I have a friend who spun her own wool and knitted it into hats and sold them for $50 and did well. Nostalgia sells.
Bob

x2 on what Bob said. repairs and alterations might be viable. I think you would have to be around full timers. if you where to make practical things like caps, mufflers, scarfs, gloves, throws, etc. that might work also. let's face it, everybody that doesn't sew has something they need sewn, buttons, zippers, etc. now if you were to hit flea markets some of your crafty stuff would sell. time for a trailer set up as a sewing room, ha ha. actually the more I think about it the more I think it could work. good luck. highdesertranger

I am not a seamstress nor knitter, so I can only say all the earlier advice seems good. However, I would be one of your potential customers so I can give you that perspective.

Are you planning to snowbird in a place like Quartzite for an extended time this winter? Seems to me that would be a great place to take on alterations, custom clothing, and such.

I highly recommend you have some cheap biz cards made up listing your alterations/repairs/custom clothing (whatever you decide to offer). Anytime you meet others in the mobile lifestyle, give out cards. You may want to sign up for a new email address with gmail or yahoo or one of the free email sites that is just for your business.

My thinking is that if you hand out a lot of cards, over time when someone has a need for your services, they can simply email you at the special email address and ask if you are currently close to where they are. Many of us tend to be loners, but a lot of us follow a general trail by seasons.

Hoolie said:
What do you guys and gals think about making money via sewing, etc.?  

Sounds like a good idea  :)  It is doable, but as others have pointed out, it depends on what you plan to sell and where you sell it.
Since you are on the road, my guess is that you don't have lots of space to store stuff. So I'd recommend something along the lines of what Bob suggested - on demand sewing needs (service) or creating niche-y items (products). I'll add to preferably focus on a few types of services or items so you don't have to store a wide array of supplies. 

The typical venues for selling sewn products are craft shows or online. I know little about craft shows, but I do sell online quite a bit. I agree with Almost There, an Etsy shop is easy to setup and maintain, and the venue is dedicated to handcrafted items. Many Etsy sellers are on eBay also.

The primary downside to selling online is that you will have to store your finished items and shipping supplies. However, you may choose to create "on demand", so you make the item only when it sells. As for shipping supplies, the post office does have some for sale, and most are free for priority mail (boxes, tape). So you can box and ship at the post office instead of keeping supplies on hand.

Of course, you will also need internet access fairly often to be able to check your sales (listings can always be put on vacation if you will be out of internet range for awhile). 

I don't know if you want to simply sell what you make or make to sell (the former is making projects you find fun or interesting, and the latter is with the intent of making money but hopefully also having fun), but you can do a bit of research on Etsy, eBay, at craft shows or wherever you choose to sell to give you a better idea of what sells and what is in demand. 

Have fun!

I have no idea how practical it is, but reenactments and rendezvous are a big thing and many require authentic clothing and gear. That could be a market.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I have no idea how practical it is, but reenactments and rendezvous are a big thing and many require authentic clothing and gear. That could be a market.
Bob

Good idea! Also Renaissance Faires and Celtic Festivals.

highdesertranger said:
x2 on what Bob said.  repairs and alterations might be viable.  I think you would have to be around full timers.  if you where to make practical things like caps,  mufflers,  scarfs, gloves,  throws,  etc.  that might work also.   let's face it,  everybody that doesn't sew has something they need sewn,  buttons,  zippers,  etc.   now if you were to hit flea markets some of your crafty stuff would sell.  time for a trailer set up as a sewing room, ha ha. actually the more I think about it the more I think it could work.  good luck.  highdesertranger

Oh, I don't think my husband would go for a set up just for my sewing stuff LOL  That cracks me up.  I can see him shaking his head right now...

I intend to make the practical items, along with a few soft toys to sell here and there.  We are going to rent a small storage place to keep a few things that we might want later in life, and I want to keep most of my sewing things there.  I can replenish my stock every 3 or 4 months that way, and will not have to take up much space in the RV.

Thanks for you input.

WriterMs said:
I am not a seamstress nor knitter, so I can only say all the earlier advice seems good. However, I would be one of your potential customers so I can give you that perspective.

Are you planning to snowbird in a place like Quartzite for an extended time this winter? Seems to me that would be a great place to take on alterations, custom clothing, and such.

I highly recommend you have some cheap biz cards made up listing your alterations/repairs/custom clothing (whatever you decide to offer). Anytime you meet others in the mobile lifestyle, give out cards.  You may want to sign up for a new email address with gmail or yahoo or one of the free email sites that is just for your business.

My thinking is that if you hand out a lot of cards, over time when someone has a need for your services, they can simply email you at the special email address and ask if you are currently close to where they are. Many of us tend to be loners, but a lot of us follow a general trail by seasons.

Great idea on the business cards, and yes, we intend to try and winter in Quartzite.  I really, really want to make the RTR in 2016, but we got to get our home sold first...That is the only thing holding us back, that and I am working until the end of the year :)

HoolieI have some crazy-mad sewing and knitting skills, and have thought about trying to utilize those said skills to bring in money along the way.

Do you have theatre/costuming skills?  Members of "the calvary" are often able to pick up short-term, well paying jobs here and there.  If a pop star tour launch is running behind schedule because of wardrobe, for example, a couple of long days can be very well compensated if you can truly help get them on track.

I work seasonally making festival costumes for debutantes.  Everybody but me seems to have a masters' degree and tons of experience with costuming or high-end custom clothing.

I don't know how you get connected with these networks (still don't know how I did!), but they do exist.

Like WriterMs I'm one of your potential customers, I can sew on a button but that's about it. I need things altered and mended from time to time and have to hire that out. Also, just last night I was not sleeping and was contemplating my sheets, I have one old king sized set I absolutely adore that are soft as butter, I wondered if they be altered to fit the van/RV mattress. Is that something a person who sews could do?

Queen said:
Like WriterMs I'm one of your potential customers, I can sew on a button but that's about it.  I need things altered and mended from time to time and have to hire that out. Also, just last night I was not sleeping and was contemplating my sheets, I have one old king sized set I absolutely adore that are soft as butter, I wondered if they be altered to fit the van/RV mattress.  Is that something a person who sews could do?

Yes, you can take the sheet and alter it to fit your van/RV mattress :)

Thanks for the inspiration :)

I really hope to meet everyone in my travels.  My husband and I are so ready for this type of life.

VanFan said:
HoolieI have some crazy-mad sewing and knitting skills, and have thought about trying to utilize those said skills to bring in money along the way.

Do you have theatre/costuming skills?  Members of "the calvary" are often able to pick up short-term, well paying jobs here and there.  If a pop star tour launch is running behind schedule because of wardrobe, for example, a couple of long days can be very well compensated if you can truly help get them on track.

I work seasonally making festival costumes for debutantes.  Everybody but me seems to have a masters' degree and tons of experience with costuming or high-end custom clothing.

I don't know how you get connected with these networks (still don't know how I did!), but they do exist.
Yes, I do have costume making skills.  I have done this off and on for schools, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Hollies mom: I was just going through old posts to see about sewing on the road and found your old post.  Did you make any decisions about sewing on the road?

For anyone else: did you take your machine on the road?  I could see sewing in the winter when I won't travel as much. 

Forgot who posted about etsy but I have been thinking of starting a store. One day I'll do it. 

Mabe we can have a sewing gathering one of these years.  LOL

ONE idea, if you like to sew just for the fun and do not care about making money there are many organizations that will accept handmade things. Police may carry stuffed animals to comfort kids. Many children's units/hospitals will accept pillow cases. Fostercare agencies accept a lot of things. My kids have received blankets from hospital visits. 

Anyone that sews probably knows about pinterest but there areally a lot of rv sewing ideas on there.

HAve a great evening, nora