Selling campfire wood?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidat202

Reaction score
I've been thinking of an idea for selling campfire wood. It probably is to late in the season for this year. I figured if I make bundle one foot by one foot and the pieces would be 16 inches long and sell them for around 3 dollars a bundle. A cord of wood (without doing any research)is around 100 to 150 per cord. That is cut and split. This is in my area(washington). In each cord of wood I would get roughly 96 bundles at 3 dollars each would be 288.00 per cord. I figured I could park somewhere along a road that leads to the mountains to sell it. Or possibly sell it to stores or campgrounds.<br /><br />Has anyone done this, or have thoughts or ideas?

there's a guy in my village that sells bundles. he's got tons of split wood ready to go. has a helper make bundles, then sells to the local food store,camp hosts and at the side of the road in front of his wood yard. he sells all his wood this way. here a cord, cut and split runs about 250 for mixed.<br /><br />give it a try. the worst that can happen is you have a bunch of firewood to keep yourself warm.&nbsp; if you live in an area where there are weekenders staying at cabins, they'll buy it.

I was thinking it could be a seasonal thing. I could spend the summer hear in washington selling the bundles. Then head south for the winter.<br /><br />Wood up hear in the summer is cheaper because not many buy it. Except for the bundles for camping.<br /><br />Im thinking this might be a viable option for income.

Right now a bundle of firewood at fred meyers is 3.99 per bundle. Thats the cheapest I,ve seen it. Some other stores sell it for 4.99.<br />
ice_maiden said:
In my area 3 bucks would be cheap cheap.... bundles go for 8 to 10 here

Are we discussing the same size bundle?

I dont know. The bundles Im talking about are about five pieces of wood. Split pretty small. About the same size as I said in my post.

When I lived in Los Angeles many of the stores were selling small bundles to people to make their campfires on the beach.&nbsp; I remember thinking that the price was pretty high but they were getting it.&nbsp; That was nearly thirty years ago though.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was worth it for a single night of fun.

Those tiny bundles of wood are $6-7 here this year..they were $4.50 last year.&nbsp; I also noticed up on the Denali hwy (where its all woods), they sell for $8/bundle...Three bucks is a darn good price.&nbsp; It takes like 3-4 bundles for a good nights campfire.&nbsp; I see people here sell them out of the back of their pickups for $5 bucks leaving out the middleman and saving the purchaser a few bucks...You have a great idea with a great service to people...Just might work for you!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Rae

be careful of this idea.&nbsp; Wood contains nasty beatles in some areas.&nbsp; You will be stopped and fined, if you can not provide proof that the wood came from the area you are selling it in.<br /><br />Selling to the camp stores makes more sense.