Self tapping screws?WTF

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim Beret

Reaction score
I cut the wood for walls to my van ok, but then I tried to screw them in! They didn't even scratch the paint! Home Depot guy said they were self tapping for metal, but I'm having no luck! Watching Bob just screw it in with his friend during his build made me wonder why I can't find a handyman! I have one wall up.held by bungee cord. What screws do I use? Help please!

I think what you may have gotten are "self taping" screws for light gauge sheet metal like ductwork. If you find "self drilling" screws they will drill their own pilot hole through thicker metal and should work better.

Or, you could drill pilot holes, a little smaller than the screw size. Takes out the charm of 'self tapping', but it works.

Self drilling, yes! It even sounds better! Yes I'll look for those thanks ♡

yes you want self drilling. make sure they are for metal. sometimes you need to predrill the wood so it doesn't split. highdesertranger

Hold on, I just looked at the box, it does say self drilling screws.I was trying to keep weight down but I guess I'll string the 2×4 across and attach to that.I have brackets with threads ready to attach in van but I couldn't get it to match up.It may be easier with 2×4 rather than the wall..Any suggestions? Thanks

there is self drilling for wood or metal. get the right type. I am not sure what you are using 2x4's for. I find that 2x4's are way overkill you will be adding all that weight for no gain. I find it much better to use 1x2's, 2x2's and plywood webbing. much stronger and lighter. highdesertranger

Plywood webbing? Not heard of that! Yes you're right I am gonna use the 1×4 or 2×4 and if they don't have that have store cut them down the middle. I'm also thinking the screws too short? They were 1 in. Could the drill not been powerful enough? Cuz I did drill pilot hole in wood first. Thanks

The metal used in vehicles is tough stuff. You should drill a small pilot hole in the metal, I used 1/8. But it depends on the size of the screw. 1x4 's are 3/4 inch thick. I would use 1 1/2 inch screw. I use clamps to pre-fit the 1x boards, drill a 1/8 hole for screw through wood and metal. Then enlarge the hole in the wood. Then drive a self tapping screw through the wood into the metal.

Thank you. I wonder if that's how Bob did it? They just didn't show the pre drilling part in the video

Grim Beret said:
They didn't even scratch the paint!

You do know that self tapping screws go into a pre-drilled hole of appropriate size?   The hint is in the name; the design of the screw is to cut a thread into the walls of the pre-drilled hole.

Self tappers are much cheaper than self drilling screws

As the others have said, you will most likely have to pre drill a pilot hole. It also takes quality bits to get through that tough metal and more so if it is double thickness.  Cheap bits can cause a lot of frustration.

I spent about 15 minutes the other day looking at the wall of screws at HD. My eyes finally glazed over and an associate helped me to my car. I have not gone back.

here's an example of plywood webbing,

boat.jpg

notice the plywood webbing running across the width of the boat.  this makes for a super strong and lightweight build.  you could never achieve the weight to strength ratio of this with 2x4's.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 17
Buy a box of the ceramic coated self-drilling screws, and a few matching Phillips bits.

These are made for drilling into metal. They work well.

IMG_20180524_190047.jpgIMG_20180524_190114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180524_190047.jpg
    IMG_20180524_190047.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20180524_190114.jpg
    IMG_20180524_190114.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 7
highdesertranger said:
here's an example of plywood webbing,

notice the plywood webbing running across the width of the boat.  this makes for a super strong and lightweight build.  you could never achieve the weight to strength ratio of this with 2x4's.  highdesertranger

I had never heard of this either so thanks for the info!

Thanks to everyone that posted after 4p.m. I  would have replied then but my fuel pump went out as I was heading into work! My first repair since I got the van! At least I hope it's the pump. Any way maybe I should get a sticker? Well I  got a born to wander Tshirt yesterday - maybe I should also get one that says born to be in the shop! Lol

Yep they look like the ones I have ! Thanks, however my build is on hold now for a bit since my money is now at the auto part store!!

Latest posts