Self driving cars-no more gas cars in 15 yrs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, now the internet keeps driving people back to where they went yesterday. And if it was a bad place, well guess what the internet is taking you back there again today.

What if the self driving cars do that too? Kid gets in the car and goes to a racy spot. Dad gets in the car and goes there too. Gramma gets in the car and goes there too. Mom gets in the car and all #@!*! breaks loose when she arrives.
-crofter

RoamerRV428 said:
omg Camm that was hysterical!

Like Maki said, older now and I don't care cause in my time literally the 'car driving me where IT wants to go and I am screwed' isn't gonna happen.

what goes down later, hey it is up to the young'ins to handle

also.....don't think humans are gonna ALL become sheeple....the revolution is out there in all generations still :)

this is the greatest thing about getting older. Soooo many things I now don't feel responsible to do something about!

I know someone who owns a tesla. It's a great car. I won't live long enough for it to get down into my price range. But if I could afford it, I'd sure buy one.

Not being stupid, tesla is doing its best to make sure that sufficient charging stations are available. this past summer, I saw them at motels, hardware stores, a couple of state highway rest areas, and fast food places.

There are still cars 60 years old and older on the streets. There won't be any problem finding a normal vehicle.

It's amazing to me how afraid people are of self driving cars, considering that a human driver's average time to react to any emergency is around one second, which can equate to a vehicle traveling over 100ft at highway speed before you even start to evade or react to a situation.

If somebody developed a self-driving system with a reaction time as poor as a human driver, it would never even make it off of the drawing board.

I get it, it's freaky to hand control over to a computer. But once we do get well programmed systems developed, which will happen sooner or later, they will absolutely wipe the floor with the ability of any human driver to react to and evade an emergency situation. And this is before we even start to consider the fact that any human driver can only focus their vision and attention in one direction at a time, compared to a self driving system that would be watching in all directions at all times. Just my two cents.

Vannautical engineer said:
It's amazing to me how afraid people are of self driving cars, considering that a human driver's average time to react to any emergency is around one second, which can equate to a vehicle traveling over 100ft at highway speed before you even start to evade or react to a situation . . .

You are talking about two different things:
Self-driving vehicles = computer (and whomever is controlling the computer) is in control, no (or minimal) human input allowed.
Computer assisted driving = driver is in control, can override computer.  This is what all military and most commercial planes have.

We already have rudimentary computer assist: collision avoidance, auto parallel parking, trailer backup assist, et.al.  This will continue to evolve and grow.

With self-driving you are just a passenger.  The car will take you where it is directed to go by a central traffic control and not necessarily where you want it to go.

Spaceman Spiff said:
With self-driving you are just a passenger.  The car will take you where it is directed to go by a central traffic control and not necessarily where you want it to go.

Who is saying this? I think any manufacturer that would potentially build a car that does not put the owner in control of where it goes... Will not be selling many cars to people. :rolleyes:

I have already experience driving by wire. I don't like it. I floor the gas pedal and it seems to take forever for the vehicle to respond unlike when there was a mechanical connection. Steering by wire scares me as what happens when that harness rubs and the wire brakes? There is no mechanical override. Same for the brakes. Then throw in the soy based wire insulation...

Who is saying this? I think any manufacturer that would potentially build a car that does not put the owner in control of where it goes... Will not be selling many cars to people. :rolleyes:

Level 5 = rider puts in destination, no other actions available.

Lets start with "Tesla will have Level 5 self-driving cars this year":
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnko...-self-driving-cars-this-year/?sh=2e7603502d1d

GM, Honda, Ford are also developing level 5 vehicles.  The Cruise (GM, Honda, Microsoft joint venture) doesn't even have a front or back, can go either direction, no driver controls.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Level 5 = rider puts in destination

Ok, so what is the problem here?

If you are thinking that the car is going to go somewhere you didn't tell it to go and you won't have control over it, again, the first car to even try something like that would be quickly kicked to the curb by the car buying public. Who would accept a car like that?

If you are thinking that the car is going to go somewhere you didn't tell it to go and you won't have control over it, again, the first car to even try something like that would be quickly kicked to the curb by the car buying public. Who would accept a car like that?

And that is the point: you don't have control, you are making a request.  A central 'traffic control authority' will decide if you can or can't go there.  It might seem a trivial distinction but there are many ways governments can abuse this 'new' power.  It's another erosion of our freedom of movement.

Every month I hear about another vehicle that was directed by their mapping app into dangerous situations.  What happens when you don't have control and your vehicle just goes there irregardless of your protestations?

Cities, states, and regional transportation authorities have been planning on this since the '90s: a central transportation hub that directs all traffic into and out of its area:
 - 1 - it is the traffic control computer that authorizes the trip, not you.
 - 2 - your trip will be logged, and who knows how private that will be.
 - 3 - you will probably be taxed for the trip.  Governments have long been trying to implement a milage tax.

What makes you think that the buying public will have a choice?  You buy what is offered.

There are still self built planes you can fly without a license, I imagine cars won’t be much different. Just in case I’m keeping my electric bike! Lol!!!