Driverless Cars & No Car Ownership in near future

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veganspirit1

Reaction score
The new laws in our country & lack of freedom due to what is called "covid" forced me to start investigating what all the new changes were about.

Sadly, I've been learning frightening things, &, one of them is the owners of this world have plans to:
- get rid of gas stations
- have only driverless cars
- NO CAR OWNERSHIP in near future - I believe within 15 years

They promote this with their marketing tricks to make this seem like this is a "good" thing.
I see it as one more way to remove our freedom & affordable living choices in how to live.

I would love if others could also research this & I'd really appreciate others feedback on what the heck are our options when they do this?

For non-censored info, I do not use google search much anymore, but, instead I use the search engine:  duckduckgo.
I've also heard about search engine called: brave, but, I've not tried it yet.

I searched on duckduckgo:  driverless cars & no car ownership in future

It pulls up a great deal for the plans for vehicles in the future & our lack of having any freedom to have our own vehicles.

I know currency is changing also.  I'm a total newbie at trying to learn that.  Their desire is to totally remove cash as well.  This has already started in certain stores as the claim is something like it's "dirty".  They want to track every cent we spend.

And, I'm trying to upgrade my Toyota Sienna to hopefully something bigger because my health has deteriorated rapidly due to lack of standing & ordinary moving around since these insane lockdowns.  Before, I could go to gyms easily & not have to drive to a gym fighting for it's right to be open, &, I've really struggled to be organized without having library access to get everything done.  These shutdowns are permanent as long as people go along with them.

Even tho I have Medicare I won't go near one of those doctors now with this new insanity, so, I need to pay for natural doctors.  But, I know my health issues could have been prevented if no lockdowns & could likely be healed if the lockdowns ended, but, that will never happen.

So, hoping, I can figure out how to get a larger van that I can stand in, get electric & heat, &, power so I can prepare my own food, etc, have a fridge, etc.

I’m not much on conspiracy theories. Don’t read the National enquirer either.

I believe you are worrying about nothing. Even if you aren’t by some giant stretch of the imagination no sense in worrying now.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! You'll find that most of us are not too worried about the future of vandwelling and driverless cars. We'll deal with whatever happens whenever it actually does happen. As for now - where are you? Why can't you get out and exercise? Come out to public land in the southwest where it's warm and free.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Cammalu said:
I’m not much on conspiracy theories. Don’t read the National enquirer either.

I believe you are worrying about nothing. Even if you aren’t by some giant stretch of the imagination no sense in worrying now.
Hear hear.
I concur.

Veganspirit1 said:
So, hoping, I can figure out how to get a larger van that I can stand in, get electric & heat, &, power so I can prepare my own food, etc, have a fridge, etc.

Wow, we can't really help you with the parts of your post that I deleted, it's above our pay grade.

Now living in a vehicle, we know something about.

It's difficult to be a prepper in a van, because there's a limited amount of space. Any van dwelling I know of is still much smaller than the tiniest apartment I ever lived in. Heck, it's smaller than most residential bathrooms. I've been in walk-in closets that are larger than many vans. Living in a van is a lot more like living in a tent than it is like living in any kind of sticks-and-bricks. 

In order to save yourself a lot of wasted effort and money, you should start going camping right now (yes, in winter) in the vehicle you have. Because I gotta say, you sound like a person who is fantasizing about van life with no real-life experience to base your fantasies on. 

If you enjoy travel and camping, you can enjoy it in any vehicle. And if you don't enjoy those things, it won't matter much what your vehicle is.

Meditation, inner reflection and simplification of your live may help. Just avoiding society and it’s problems which generally get worked out over time will allow you to maintain some sanity. Hiking or backpack living if you are able will occupy you life with plenty of problems you can solve and spend most of your time productively.

Veaganspirit1 - welcome to the forum you will find all types of people here and of course you are welcome. Just be careful because a few of these people are actually spies For big brother watching over the nomad community. They are placing electronic tracers on every van they can find. They keep all of this information in a large computer inside the head of Abraham Lincoln on Mount Rushmore. I wrote this in the hope that you have a good sense of humor. If you don’t and I’ve offended you sorry.

I almost died of Covid during the first few months of it in NYC.
It's not something to be handwaved away like an opinion on sports.
As far as driverless cars, gas stations etc
I think there is a general move towards less cars or electric cars.
This is a good thing for the environment whether you believe in anthropogenic climate change (which science indicates is the case) or you do not.
I remember the 70's and 80's when car emissions were much worse. It is a good thing that government made car manufactures limit emissions.
Yeah I miss the ability to buy a barely running old car with a massive engine and roar around in it. Emission standards in many states will keep such cars off the road unless it is old enough to be grandfathered in. But hey, I DO like breathing oxygen.
I'm sure the future of cars will be electric. My sisters family owns a hybrid and an all electric. They can go on extended car trips in the electric thanks to the prevalence of chargers all over the US.
But just like gun laws and liquor laws, if there is a federal push to mandate electric cars or driverless cars, some states will forego federal funds rather than go along. Maybe move to a conservative state if you are worried about being able to own a gas powered car in the future?
Fossil fuel producers like Texas and Louisiana are surely not going that route.

As far as health, I have had similar issues.
After I had Covid my heart was really weak for a while. My liver and kidneys took a few months to recover.
Couldn't ride my bike anymore which was my cardio, and working out wasn't possible.
So for a while I'd just take long walks in less populated areas.
Then as my cardiovascular health got better I found some low impact workouts on Youtube.
I'm still about 15lbs heavier than before. Which ticks me off because before the pandemic I fought like hell to lose 45lbs and was in really good shape for the first time in 20 years!

Either way I wish you luck. The Sienna is not a bad vehicle. Toyota is a reliable brand and I know several people who have made it work. Including a musician couple I'm still friends with. I look at my vehicle as transportation, cooking and sleeping area.
I don't hang out in it all day so I'm not worried about how tall it is.

The new laws in our country & lack of freedom due to what is called "covid" forced me to start investigating what all the new changes were about.

Sadly, I've been learning frightening things, &, one of them is the owners of this world have plans to:
- get rid of gas stations
- have only driverless cars
- NO CAR OWNERSHIP in near future - I believe within 15 years

They promote this with their marketing tricks to make this seem like this is a "good" thing.
I see it as one more way to remove our freedom & affordable living choices in how to live.

I traveled for the most part of Covid lock down unhindered on the East coast. I got to see states with crazy mandates to noting at all, it was an Epic adventure and I felt truly free. Yet I knew if I slept in my car in some places I could get arrested, fined or whatnot. In the recent infrastructure bill they just passed a back door kill switch for all cars going forward. So now your car can be shut down whenever the Gov wants.....

Tons of laws/mandates get passed hidden within other packages, as they always have. Most go unnoticed until it hurts you or someone/something you care about. Conspiracy theory or not some of us are not happy the previous generations just let these restricting laws/mandates pass. Why worry about it now we wont be around later.... nice, thanks.....

Last edited:
In the US we have a right wing party and a moderate right party.
There is no Left as it is understood in other countries or in political science.
Both parties are pro Wall st, in favor of large defense budgets, pro big pharma, pro insurance company etc.
The only thing that divides R from D are social issues which neatly sort voters by their fears.
Hot button issues like gay marriage, abortion, immigration, guns.
These have very little to do with what goes in Washington, so it is very convenient for politicians to make big statements about them.
The rest of the time they are doing shady deals.
Ever heard of a politician that wasn't a millionaire? All of them are.

It would be easy for someone here to start a political argument. I hope they don't.

I once read an article (wish I could source it right now) that explained things. They took a poll of what people wanted or supported. Then they took a poll of what companies and wealthy people that contributed to politicians wanted or supported. Then they checked on what laws our politicians wrote and passed. One guess on what laws were passed!

As long as money drives politics, this is what we will have. Thinking right or left matters is just what they feed us to keep us apart and powerless.

Just my opinion, of course.