Security guard asked me for ID & ran me for warrants

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that sounded snotty. What I meant was that this guy runs around Vancouver in a bright purple van that he obviously lives in, makes no secret of it, has done so for years, is completely unstealthy, and seems to never get hassled.

curlew said:
How come so many people here have nothing but trouble while Justincredible has virtually none?

We've got over 6000 members. I don't think that many of us are having problems with LEOs, security, or anyone else.

Florida boondocker said:
Know your right #1
You had a legal right to be there, you were a member
sure you could be breaking a "rule" but not the law

you also HAVE the right to ask the security officer for HIS id, and call the police to verified

i 100% respect a business rights, but you have right especially being a member of the business

I agree. Planet Fitness is a 24 hour business, and when you pay your monthly dues you are also paying to park in their lot. If you are waiting to meet a friend, have an appointment with your trainer in the morning, going to work out in an hour, doing your pre workout yoga stretches, looking for your shampoo- lots of reasons you are sitting there in your van. You could call the front desk while security is standing there and ask for the manager to make sure you are not going to get hassled again. 

And I agree with getting the guy's badge number if you are in the right.  Anyone who has a state license as security does, can also get complaints recorded against their license number. 

Some business are super sensitive though, and I just don't patronize those places once I get hassled.  Like one of my favorite chain groceries has their security check out my vehicle every time I go there.  Guess what? I don't shop there anymore.  Since it's a chain I have lots of choices, and now I'm spending my dollars someplace else and I'm not getting hassled anymore. Their loss.        ~crofter

Being a member buys you the "right" to go in work out, and park there incidental to that transaction.

It is completely up to the business' manager if she wants to let their customers **sleep** in their parking lot.

And of course whether or not it's allowed by that town's rules laws may well be an issue, even on private property with the owner's permission.

crofter said:
Planet Fitness is a 24 hour business, and when you pay your monthly dues you are also paying to park in their lot. 

Well no, no you are not. First of all, Planet Fitness is not an RV park or a hotel, and you are NOT paying to sleep there for the night. Second, many Planet Fitness locations don't even own the parking lot, so they legally cannot give you permission to sleep there overnight even if they wanted to. Third, even companies that allow people to overnight as a matter of corporate policy (such as Walmart or Cracker Barrel) still allow each individual store manager to decide for themselves, so any individual store may not allow you to overnight. And fourth, many cities and towns have local ordinances against sleeping in a vehicle or parking overnight--which supercedes any store policy.

The bottom line is brutally simple--if they allow you to stay, it is because they are being nice enough to allow you to stay. You have no legal "right!!!" whatsoever to overnight in someone's parking lot. Period. End of debate. If they ask you to leave, you have zero recourse and no argument to make. You leave--quickly, politely, and promptly.