Security guard asked me for ID & ran me for warrants

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUIPME

Reaction score
So, I had a very unnerving experience last night.  Am new to vandwelling, and Received my first "Agressive" knock.  Was parked in planet fitness parking lot (im a member) around 2AM fast alseep when security rolls up with flashlight in my eyes and knocks.  I answer politely, explain im traveling (Parked in CA with NY Plates) needed a place to nap.  He says "You cant be in my lot" to which I said ok I can leave.  He asked if I've ever been arrested, to which I answer No.  Then asked for ID.  I was caught off guard and handed it to him, he entered my info/ran it against some kind of database on his smartphone.  In the middle of all this (I was caught off guard so my mind just started waking up) I asked him. Are you a officer, to which he replied, "I never said im a officer, Im security for this lot."  I told him as a security you have no business asking for my ID (To which he said you could have denied my request)  and told him I was not bothering anyone, and was ready to leave, but asking if im a criminal and checking my id was not necessary.  Matter of fact its disrespectful, you shouldn't be doing that.

So long story short, went to walmart and continued my sleep.  My question for the folks is, any idea what they do with this Data they collect?  He even asked me my middle name (which is when my red flag went up to ask him if he's a cop)  Im assuming the security company may be sharing data on known vandwellers?

He's not a cop or an LEO. He's just a schmoo like any other schmoo. You don't have to give him jackshit.

You can always take it up with the management at that particular Planet Fitness. I would. They're going to come back with "well you aren't allowed to park in our lots" and you can come back with "well you need to speak with your employee (or more likely the contracting company) and explain to him that he is not allowed to request ID and run checks." Maybe security guards are allowed to run checks; highly doubt it.

I was visiting AZ a year ago and parked in my friend's condo parking lot because I wanted to leave at 3am to beat the traffic. The same thing happened to me, except the guy didn't ask for my ID. He did write down my license plate # though. He told me to move several hundred feet away to the bank parking lot which I did. He then cruised by a few more times. I was annoyed because I'd done what he asked and his cruising was disturbing my attempt at sleep. Maybe he was just nervous it would come back on him if anything happened to me. :: shrug ::

Heck, I can walk up as a private citizen and ask for your ID...you don't have to provide it of course. 

I doubt that he had any access to a criminal database to be able to check for warrants. 

He was probably just storing the info from your ID in an app to document the encounter, text it to a police buddy, or save for later IF something happened in the area.

He has the right to ask, but you also have the right to decline. Sometimes in the fog of the encounter, we willingly comply...and they know that.

You'll know next time to ask, 'Are you a police officer?', and if so, 'Am I free to go?'

You shouldn't have even answered the door. And you definitely did not need to provide a security guard any ID

Get to know your rights and you wont be so afraid in these situations.

VanTramp I wonder how that would have worked, though. The security guard in my case was insistent. And he cruised the bank lot next door after I moved, even though that wasn't his job. His job was only the condo parking lot. I think the security guard could very well have called backup (LE) if Yuip had refused to answer the door.

So. security tries to ask you to move from parking lot. you ignore. what does security do next? call police? charge trespass? always get permission if in private lot, or be prepared to move on.

tx2sturgis said:
I doubt that he had any access to a criminal database to be able to check for warrants. 

Don't know how a civilian would be able to run a police check. I would leave if he told me to, but refuse to show my ID. Good to know about this situation as it could be confusing if you had not thought about it.

"Refusing to answer" is always a bad move. ESPECIALLY if it is a cop.

When they wanna talk to you, it's because there is some situation they wanna resolve--whether it's "you can't park here" or "is this vehicle abandoned/stolen/broken-down/whatever" or "is there someone laying dead in the back of this vehicle".

They'll do whatever they need to do in order to resolve the situation. What they will NOT do is shrug their shoulders, say "rats he won't talk to me" and go away.

PS--nobody has any "right" to park on someone else's property without permission. Period.

Thank you for the responses. Next time the first thing I will do is only crack my window down just enough to exchange words and ask "are you a officer" and feel out the person's vibe. If he is unfriendly, I will simply say I will move and move from there.
No point exchanging more words than needed with someone who is bringing not-good-vibes with them.
I will also read up so I am aware of my rights.

Thanks All

Refusing to open a door, even to a police officer, IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW if he has no warrant. I have done it numerous times and every single time the officer  simply stops knocking and goes back to thier normal jobs. Absolutely nothing they can do about it. Please read up on your rights.

Opening your door to a stranger at night is going to get you mugged or killed. Even crooks can pretend to be a cop. If he is threatening you to open the door, call 911 to at least verify it is a cop

Know your right #1
You had a legal right to be there, you were a member
sure you could be breaking a "rule" but not the law

you also HAVE the right to ask the security officer for HIS id, and call the police to verified

i 100% respect a business rights, but you have right especially being a member of the business

lenny flank said:
PS--nobody has any "right" to park on someone else's property without permission. Period.

We do this all the time...public parks, shopping centers, businesses. And the public has an implied 'right' to be there, unless they are asked to leave for some reason. As in this case. 

Lots of private property IS a place with public access.

I think what you meant was, CAMPING on private property. But I have seen you post many times about not asking if it's OK to camp at Walmart overnight.

What this amounts to is this: it's often easier to get forgiveness, than permission.

If walmart asks me to leave, I leave. Quickly and politely.

I DON'T raise a big ruckus about my "right" to sleep there. I *have* no right to sleep there.

I have no desire whatever to stay where I am not wanted.

And this is why I always park on the street and never in parking lots. They are private property and frequently have security patrolling. During the day would not be a problem but at night even at 24 hr places you tend to stand out.

I do think it's a good idea to have a plan if you do get the knock. I would crack the window a little as well to see who is knocking. If it is a cop then you deal with it. But you don't know if it is a cop a security guard or just someone seeing if someone is in the van before they break in to steal stuff. Caution is definitely warranted until you can access the situation.

It sounds like you came across an over eager security guard. I think most would have just told you to move along. Same if it was the police.

lenny flank said:
"Refusing to answer" is always a bad move. ESPECIALLY if it is a cop.

When they wanna talk to you, it's because there is some situation they wanna resolve--whether it's "you can't park here" or "is this vehicle abandoned/stolen/broken-down/whatever" or "is there someone laying dead in the back of this vehicle".

They'll do whatever they need to do in order to resolve the situation. What they will NOT do is shrug their shoulders, say "rats he won't talk to me" and go away.

Question.

What is the difference between a vehicle, legally parked, in an area not restricted against overnight parking, versus someone "inhabiting a vehicle overnight"?

The answer is: whether or not you respond when they knock.

He took advantage of you being startled and not quite awake.

Private security people can sometimes be power hungry cop wannabees. The LEOs I've had interaction with have been rather laid back, not hard asses. Maybe it's the luck of the draw.