Seattle Safe Lots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently in the Seattle area but think I'm going to stay away from there. I have better luck parking next to apartments/warehouses/dispursed camping. I did get bothered once by a Sheriff at a dispursed camping spot but he was cool.

I've been full timing in Seattle for over a year now and my typical spots are close to but not in Ballard. I easily recognized each individual RV shown in the video, ha!

There are some pretty filthy areas, which I avoid.

I think for anyone just starting out these spots might be of interest as they are viable options to not be disturbed, especially if you don''t have stealth down. I remember how terrifying it was to need to spend the night in my car when I didn't have stealth and to try to find a good spot.

Nowadays, though, I feel safest parking in more upscale neighborhoods where no one notices I'm living in my van. They don't have an opportunity to become offended by it. Trash and other waste is always disposed of properly, up to and including returning expired prescriptions to the pharmacy and recycling the empty bottles.

I'm nervous about parking near and interacting with other homeless who live out of vehicles because I'm physically really vulnerable, and desperate people do drastic things. Once I'm stonger (e.g. able to reliably walk a block without support) and/or have more protection in some form or another I might let down that barrier for a bit, but my current strategy is to stay well under the radar. Which is admittedly tricky when the ambulance keeps getting called out...