Seattle, Denver, or Miami As Destinations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're going to be running your heat pretty much every day for at least 6 months out of the year

I'd say more like 8-9 months of the year. Right now we're in the high 30's at night and mostly 50's during the day. We did have a few days of 60+ but not consecutive.

mockturtle said:
I'd say more like 8-9 months of the year. Right now we're in the high 30's at night and mostly 50's during the day. We did have a few days of 60+ but not consecutive.

Greetings! :angel:

Well... dog gone it, I was trying to stay positive and upbeat, I didn't want to scare them away totally... :p

Where are you? I'm up at OSO for the moment, helping with the landslide relief.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Thanks a lot for the input. Bob I'll check it out. I can meander around for a while.

I'm weather proof for the most part. I braved the winters here in Oklahoma without any insulation or heat in my van and it got down to 7 degrees with a -9 degree wind chill and I did just fine. I use a -40 or zero degree sleeping bag with headgear while I'm sleeping and when I wake up I use auto start to get my van warmed up before I get out of my sleeping bag lol.

The more and more I'm comparing the cities I mentioned the more and more I'm liking Seattle. The main downside is the rain/cold but other than that lots to do/explore. Now I just have to figure out free/cheap camping within a 30 minute to hour drive!

'Man In A Box'
-lots of culture (I love asian culture)
-Mountains or Ocean
- Great climate so I can have a relaxing atmosphere
-people
I love immersing and meeting new people

= Long Island!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1/2 hour drive into Chinatown.

Where are you? I'm up at OSO for the moment, helping with the landslide relief.
Good for you! :) I'm in Centralia until late May. Then I'll be on the road. Hope to attend to Darrington Bluegrass Festival this year.

When you're up in the PNW don't miss Astoria, Or, home of the "Goonies".
Lived up there 2 yrs and its got some interesting history along the Columbia River estuary. Nearby are several attractions, but not much in the way of free parking/camping. In Astoria you can stay at the Safeway grocery in the RV spaces...stayed 3 weeks last summer, moving around during the day. We have a few friends who offered space but the extreme grades on the hills and narrow streets kept us from accepting. Its like little San Frisco...even had cable cars first.
Weather nice a couple months and gray, cloudy, rainy the rest of the year. Very little snow, interesting place to visit with old world architecture. In summer, they have a great farmer's market in the downtown streets on Sundays.
While there, be sure to visit Ft. Clatsop, site of Lewis & Clark's camp.
Had a good time last June, weather was best I've seen, but don't wanna live there again.

The constant rain and dreariness of Seattle and the PNW in the winter would kill me. I would never consider living there in a van! And I have lots of vandwelling friends who lived their for a long time time and they all say the same thing.
Bob

mockturtle said:
Good for you! :) I'm in Centralia until late May. Then I'll be on the road. Hope to attend to Darrington Bluegrass Festival this year.
Greetings!

They've been talking about possibly cancelling it... Time will tell I guess.

Anything interesting going on in Centralia along about now? I'll be headed back South when I get done here I think. Might be headed just back to Seattle, but I just never know. I've been trying to do a job in San Bernardino remotely, but if I can't get it, I may be headed there.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

San Diego seems to be a whole other universe, when it comes to issues like this. In 2012, I spent a month at a campground in an industrial area of SD. There were obviously quite a few folks who were living, permanently, in all kinds of old Class A and C motorhomes on all the nearby streets. One day the city posts about two miles of street in front of the campground, and orders all vehicles off for a day of paving. This started a real circus as we watched everything from shade tree mechanics working hard to get ancient rigs sputtering back to life, to folks chaining large motorhomes to the back of a U-Haul to drag it off the road. After the road was done, every body migrated back to their "home spot" and everything returned to normal. I can't imagine other cities being so exceptionally tolerant to near homeless people occupying rigs that are barely holding together, and couldn't make a few blocks without spending more on them than they are worth on mechanical repairs. It was actually a pleasant change from living in the northeast, where you would be tagged and towed in 24 hrs.

I've lived in and around Seattle for many years and I recommend it! The city is very tolerant of liveaboards as long as there isn't any stuff on the outside of the vehicle. No chairs, BBQ equipment, plants and, particularly, no trash! The best areas for stealth camping are the Ballard and Fremont areas. The weather is much better than most people think. Summers and early Fall are mostly beautiful and mild and not all that rainy. Go there...