SE Utah

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you access water\trash disposal? Nearest groceries? I've always wanted to see Utah.

I did a tour of the National Parks, Monuments, and other interesting stuff in Southern Utah last year.  I am set up for up to 20 days boondocking so I can carry stuff for a while.

Water: never had a problem.  All National Park/Monument picnic grounds have water.  All parks have dump sites with potable water.  I carry water in one gallon jugs so I can fill at almost any spigot.

Trash: I dump my trash at every gas stop, also NP and NM have dumpsters.  They definitely want to make it easy for people to get rid of trash and not just throw it on the ground.

Groceries: This was the hardest for me.  Lots of little towns with little grocery stores.  Expensive and not a lot of selection. I could not find good dog food; could only find cheap stuff.

-- Spiff

I spent about a month in Mexican Hat one night.

What a beautiful place, though. I still want to return to try to take it all in.

DL Tooley If you are headed west take a side trip down Hwy 276 to Glen Canyon Rec Area (Bullfrog) come thru the gate early morning or late evening. Park in the parking lot across from the Sinclair gas station and next morning ask at the AIS office there for Jim. Talk to me and you'll have plenty of new favorites. Lots of free here including hot showers and at least 10 years of things to do and see as long as you like being hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Natural Bridges and a ranger station on Hwy 261 as well as Hogs Springs rest area and Hite (only gas station on Hwy 95 between Hanksville and Blanding or Mexican Hat takes credit cards if not open with US zip code billing address). PM me for things and places on the way or while passing through before starting as little or no internet or cell in between! Bring what you need because you won't be able to get it within 100 miles.

Wabbit said:
Where do you access water\trash disposal? Nearest groceries? I've always wanted to see Utah.
This is most definitely boondocking country. There are very good grocery stores in Moab and Cortez in SW Colorado. Blanding has a good, but not great market. Same for Escalante. Many of the gas stations will have a few items and water. Having lots of water is good. I have three 5 gallon water jugs. The marinas on Lake Powell, Hite, Bullfrog, and Halls Crossing have several services. 

Moab is worthwhile but too busy and correspondingly regulated. Escalante and Blanding are quieter base type towns. If you are coming from the South the grocery store in Kayenta is good.

bullfrog said:
DL Tooley If you are headed west take a side trip down Hwy 276 to Glen Canyon Rec Area (Bullfrog)  come thru the gate early morning or late evening.  Park in the parking lot across from the Sinclair gas station and next morning ask at the AIS office there for Jim.  Talk to me and you'll have plenty of new favorites.   Lots of free here including hot showers and at least 10 years of things to do and see as long as you like being hot in the summer and cold in the winter.  

I try to get out here every Fall and Spring. One of my most epic trips was taking a rowboat from Bullfrog to the Escalante Arm. The backroad from Bullfrog to Escalante is a classic. 

My last area this Spring will be poking around Red Canyon, just up and across the lake from you.

See if this works for the link

Welcome back to the neighborhood! I'll be up in Hite surveying the bullfrog infestation in the next few weeks.

If you're hanging around Mexican Hat, head north and west about 8.5 miles and see the Goosenecks State Park. It's one of the best examples of entrenched meander in the world.

They charge $10 a night for camping, or $5 for day use. Vault toilet, fire rings, picnic tables. No water or other facilities.

From Mexican Hat, head north on 163 for 3.3miles, then left onto 261 for less than one mile, and then left on 316 for 3.5 miles. Don't go too fast, or you'll drive off the cliff and that first step is a humdinger.

You can go on up the Moqui Dugway and turn left on the dirt road to Muley Point and camp on the ledge at a higher elevation for free.

One of my favorite campsites is in Valley of the Gods, right here: 37.316492, -109.850421

Another is right at the base of the Mexican Hat formation. 37.171107, -109.849239

Lower John's Canyon past the Gooseneck SP is a great isolated spot. There is a spot just up river from that Mexican Hot spot that is much more private. Both have rougher access roads.