Sales of new rv's decline

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to remember in regards mileage is that a lot, if not most, of RVers are destination people who will go someplace and stay for a while, as opposed to continually traveling around. At 10 MPG, it costs roughly $350 to drive 1000 miles. That's probably acceptable to most people. And in the wintertime in AZ, the parks are full of people who come in and park their rigs for the whole winter.

Just ran across this article. I don't remember if it was brought up, but the industry is currently selling around 3 times more RVs now than during the crash of 2008. And 2017-2018 saw what they call "record breaking years". One might naturally expect that those rates will level off over time. It's not the end of the world. Many similar types of topical markets end up saturating. There is something called the S-Curve which is descriptive of such phenomena. Also of interest is that 88% of sales are towables.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/6/17/18682121/rv-campers-industry-economy-economic-impact-jobs-2018

There is also an article about vanlife that I'm thinking of posting as a separate thread for wider viewing.

https://www.curbed.com/2019/4/3/18264579/van-life-millennials-campers-sprinter-air-stream-thor

There are some really nice Class A motorhomes out there but way out of my price range and the ones that are usually need a lot of difficult work. The main reason we bought a bumper pull trailer. We started out and still have our 28' Barth motorhome but it is pretty much a stationary dwelling. It was great the several years we traveled. The biggest problem we have is the small entrance door and the steps you have to climb as we get older. You may find you will have to remove one of the large side windows to get something like an adjustable bed in, many have to do that just to replace the refrigerator. It is good to start and move the motorhome often as they don't sit well and keeping 100 gallons of fuel "fresh" can be a problem if you don't. You will probably be looking at the "wide" ones or ones with slides both of which cause problems. Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

Latest posts