Safest Way to Store Propane Tank?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiseguy5513

Reaction score
So last week I got my Olympian Wave 3, along with a 20lb propane tank, a smoke alarm and a Carbon Monoxide Detector to prepare for winter. I thought I was all good to go until I read about how unsafe some consider it to be to have the propane tank running inside a vehicle (I guess I didn't think of that earlier). I know Bob does it, but does anyone else?

Also, does anyone know of easy ways to mount the propane tank onto the outside of my car? I'm not very savvy with this stuff, so if anyone has pictures, I would love to see it so I can visualize how to do it.

And I know this is making it more complicated, but I'd love to keep some stealth if I could (I park at a school parking lot, where I'm allowed to park, but I'm worried that if I have a propane tank clearly displayed that it would raise some flags to security). But if there's no easy way to maintain stealth while having it outside, that's okay.

Thanks for all your help.

I have mine inside, right next to my bed. Used to have it under my bed in my previous build. Never had a problem. The tank itself is nearly impenetrable, the only time they fail is at the valve, so place the tank in such a way that the valve wont get knocked. Other than that, use some soapy water on the connection to the hose and should be fine.I dont really get how putting the tank outside is gonna instantly make it safe...sure you cant build up gas in a confined space that way and cause a massive explosion but you will smell that amount of gas anyway. It has an additive that is very potent. If you arent in the vehicle you can close the valve off. I close it off when i drive in case of an accident, tho im pretty sure it has a cut off mechanism for when the propane suddenly rushes out (sometimes i have to really slowly open the tank or it wont work).

highdesertranger - It's a 2002 Dodge Ram Van, High Top.

Thanks for the replies so far...

One thing we all agree is propane is much heavier than air. For safety you could build a box sealed from the cabin but with a vent hole out the bottom of the floor. be sure the bottle is well secured and will not be a problem in a crash. If you want it outside, there are bottle clamps that fasten on the back of van campers. the modern valves will not let gas through without a little back pressure. There is a pressure relieve in case of fire.

Latest posts