Safari/Astro Layout

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Reaction score
So I finally found a van; 99 Safari AWD, 273km (170 miles). I decided to go with a shorter van because it just happened to be a good deal ($1000) and I couldn't find another bigger in my price range.

I've got everything insulated except the two middle hinged windows so now it's time to decide on a layout.

I've been leaning towards putting my bed sideways across the back but now I'm wondering if it's better to build a rock n' roll bed the long way. Doing a twin bed (39" wide) in the back doesn't leave very much room for my kitchen cabinet. I also realized today that putting the bed on the wheel wells won't allow enough overhead height to sit straight up. I just ordered a 6" mem foam mattress from walmart to use.

Thoughts?

Also wondering if anyone has neat ideas for removable insulation on the hinged windows?

Thanks!

I have a Safari, they aren't as wide as a cargo van. I think thing would fit better if the bed was 24"-32" wide. My cot is 24 wide so that is half the width of the van. Keep hight of the bed low enough to sit up.

Jeremy said:
So I finally found a van; 99 Safari AWD, 273km (170 miles). I decided to go with a shorter van because it just happened to be a good deal ($1000) and I couldn't find another bigger in my price range.

I've got everything insulated except the two middle hinged windows so now it's time to decide on a layout.

I've been leaning towards putting my bed sideways across the back but now I'm wondering if it's better to build a rock n' roll bed the long way. Doing a twin bed (39" wide) in the back doesn't leave very much room for my kitchen cabinet. I also realized today that putting the bed on the wheel wells won't allow enough overhead height to sit straight up. I just ordered a 6" mem foam mattress from walmart to use.

Thoughts?

Also wondering if anyone has neat ideas for removable insulation on the hinged windows?

Thanks!
When you say 'shorter' van, do you mean the short Safari? They did come in two lengths, it is worth have the longer one even though it only adds about 8 or so inches. Or do you mean a 'shorter' van compared to a regular size van?

I'm in the middle of a conversion on a 2005 Astro AWD cargo van, I'm making the seat cushions/mattress now. For me, since I'm about 190lbs and 5'10", I decided to put the bed longitudinally on the driver's side, spaced a 1x12 (so it's really about 11") up from the floor (it clears the wheel well by almost an inch). My bed is just a few inches narrower than a 'twin'. I have also made a dinette which uses part of the bed for seating, and I find that I have just enough room for sitting, my hair barely brushes the headliner. BTW my mattress is a layered piece of foam 3" thick. I considered crosswise at the back, but it just didn't allow me enough room. I have to be able to stretch out straight sometimes. But of course it is just me in my van. I have thought about making the bed wider by about a foot, I think it could be done without too much impact on space. Currently I have about 2 feet (that's an estimate) between the edge of the bed and the opposite van wall.

I have taken my Astro on some dodgy dirt roads and I must say that the AWD works great, I couldn't be happier with it. Make sure you always run the same size tires front and back or you can cause abnormal wear in the transfer case. On the Astros and Safaris the AWD is running all of the time looking for wheel slip.