RV Solar Awning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW. I need to start making RV awnings. :p

An extra 1.2Kw of solar for 10k. That's bananas.

There are folks doing slide out panels, like a pickup bed slider, or a big drawer. It looks doable as a project, and some spendy hardware.

Great idea except when the wind blows. Most automatic type awnings have auto detract settings for any time the wind picks up enough that it would destroy them. I've seen people go away only to return and see a completely destroyed awning.

gizmotron said:
Great idea except when the wind blows. Most automatic type awnings have auto detract settings for any time the wind picks up enough that it would destroy them. I've seen people go away only to return and see a completely destroyed awning.

From the linked article:

Xponent said it designed the Xpanse so it doesn't cause problems when the wind picks up. For one thing, the solar panels are separated from each other to let air pass through and thus stay stable "even at relatively high wind speeds," the company said in a statement. At higher speeds, the awning uses built-in sensors detect wins speed and automatically retract when needed. The awning decides when to retract using what Xponent calls "extensive machine learning" that has helped the company identify situations when it is no longer safe to have the awning out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Having a wind damaged awning on my RoadTrek, this new design is hopefully the future for RV's+solar. Obviously the current price point is too much for most of us. Mass production and competition could bring the $$$ down at some point...hopefully soon!

I would love to see that. The surface area of an awning is greater than the square footage of the primary wing for a Beechcraft Bonanza. At 50 MPH there is enough force from lift to lift a one ton plane like that off the ground. I have seen auto retract on awnings fail. If they are built strong enough they can roll a Class A over. This of course could be a fairytale. But when you see it for yourself then you can go around and be a kook.

I would never leave your rig with one of these deployed if you are in any area where wind can change in an instant.

An extra 1.2Kw of solar for 10k. That's bananas.------------THIS!

be lucky if this thing lasts a year LOL