RV camps rejecting vans or self built TT? Serious or fake?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

Reaction score
So how serious are folks about campgrounds rejecting you if you have a self built van, or self built trailer? Is the market that good for private campgrounds where they will reject you? If you don't have a commercial built class A B or C or TT?

Airbnb folks are going to take the market with those campgrounds attitudes about being snobby private campgrounds. Well maybe.

But is this a real thing? And is it significant ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RV parks I frequent are picky. You can't get a monthly rate unless the RV is less than 10 years old and they require pictures for approval. The RV parks I have been to that are not picky are often full of run down trailers and are loud and full of drugs and theft.

I believe the reason for this is their nightly rate is high and if the park looks like a 5 star resort people willingly pay a high rate.

I have never been rejected at a park, but I have never stayed at any park that charged over $30 a nite. The only place I would be concerned with would be some of the Escapee's parks that require you be self contained, as well as some National Park areas and some BLM long term areas, but I don't know how well it is enforced. I once considered working at a park that had a newer than 10 year policy and since though my 1983 class A Barth looked new and my utility trailer was licensed and only a year old, when asked how old was my trailer I told them just a year and they didn't say any thing about it and let me in!

It is a real possibility. Some claim that it has to do with insurance requirements. We were told once we could not camp in our conversion van, we didn't plan to, but in a tent. They came to check and make sure we had a tent up. Had we not been desperate to get settled for the night, I would have told them...........

Those that are part of a group of campgrounds can be the most difficult. Independently owned can be negotiable on rules. Being clean and polite can, I think, go a long way in flexibility when it comes to rules unless they are bound by an owner or corporation.

Just would think with boondocking and Airbnb and state federal camp grounds that commercial campgrounds are market dependent. But bet if I did an off season thing they would want me.

Only a few do that, and they are the most expensive places anyway. Plus, there is always another campground right down the road that will take you in no matter.

Can we create a black list of those bad boy campgrounds? That way less surprises for the community. Or is that frowned upon?

Goshawk said:
Just would think with boondocking and Airbnb .

Goshawk
Whatsa Airbnb?....Please
****************************************************************************************************************************
JUST MY THOUGHTS in GENERAL ON THE SUBJECT

My van is 19ys old and TT is 13ys old.  I personaly don't care to be judged or spend money anywhere that age is an issue,  I'm waaaaay past the age limit for those places my ownself :) 

Just because someone has a newer expensive rig doesn't neccesarily mean they are good people and because for whatever reason folks are driving a hoopty doesn't make them less than, or trashy.  At least that's the few from my world.  Sometimes it may be a litte skewed...that's OK......The voices in my head said so   :s :huh: :) :p

There are folks here from many diverse backgrounds doing the nomad thing at various levels, or maybe not doing it.  So many great rigs of all kinds.  These are some of the reasons I like this place.

Jewellann

I would have split this reply but that's beyound my skill set.

I live in a three year old fifth wheel in one of those "snobby" RV parks, have for over three years.  The couple who own it work their tails off to make and keep it nice for all residents.  There are currently three older RVs here.  Their owners do not maintain their rigs and have piles of stuff outside.  Their sewer hoses (one held together with duct tape) and water lines have leaked on more than one occasion due to aging out.  The piles of things outside provide nice homes for rats and mice and other varmints who migrate to other units nearby.  One lady very kindly left food out for the feral cats.  Great gesture, except the cats were spraying and pooping under other people's rigs and on their chairs etc outside.  The owners are too nice to ask these long termers to leave.

There are five other parks within 10 miles of here. The rest are trashed and their rents are higher.  The waiting list here is long.  By keeping this place nice, it will always be full.  This is their business and how they earn their living.  They do reserve judgement until seeing the rigs.  They use the 10 year rule to limit their exposure to problems. There are a few 15-20 year old rigs here that are well maintained, no problems.

I traveled all 49 North American US states in my well-maintained self built ten year old van and stayed in a few RV parks along the way.  Never was I refused.  My little van was parked next to huge Motorhomes and fivers.  It was sorta funny.  I was ALWAYS treated with respect.  I have most frequently been parked on public lands with other mostly self built vans, trucks, cars, many older with their share of battle scars.  Only then did a few people act with disregard for others, loud music, pets running loose and messing up my gear, drunks walking very close by with their foul language and reckless behavior.

I am readying my new-to-me Class B to get back out there and will shut down the fiver for the next six months or so.  I will probably stay in a few "snobby" parks along the way but mostly public spaces.  No matter what, it is my choice where to camp.  I choose to avoid those that can cause problems for me and my rig.  It isn't the age of the rig or its owner that's the problem. It's the way it's kept.  It doesn't take money to stay clean and tidy.

Some do have equipment and or rig restrictions. My RV park does a Rig inspection and has two designated areas at registration for same. No long term soft sided pop ups. No longer term older rigs. It's pretty expensive so not to many hardcore nomads in here currently... This particular park caters to Canadian Snowbirds and they have some crazy expensive rigs. I'm the token poor guy in the park with a 2017 JayFlight 23'. Only one other TT in the park smaller than me... Oh Well.....

I've been quite happy on both sides of this street.  Businesses cater to a particular market.  Walmart vs Saks.  Kia vs Lexus. RV parks vs BLM land. They all work.  None are "better" than others, just different.  My old van worked perfectly for me at that time in my life.  Things change and now an RV works better for current circumstances.

We all live our lives in ways that work best for us, be it sticks n bricks, wheels or boats, tents, whatever.  What does matter is showing respect for others choices.

OK this was told to me about girls a long time ago but it also applies to campgrounds......

Some do , some don't , some will , some won't , ask 'em all , no hard feelings.

You'll find more where you can get a spot than turn you down.

rvpopeye said:
OK this was told to me about girls a long time ago but it also applies to campgrounds......

You'll find more where you can get a spot than turn you down.

Too wise

rvpopeye said:

The last three words imply that you are not going to get your face slapped.  Have things really changed that much since I was young?

Oh my goshk!
I WAS trying to stick to topic !

ArtW said:
Depends a lot on how you ask, too

If it pleases the crown would thou allow your humble servant to stay on crown land in exchange for coin of the realm and the promise to contribute taxable purchases to the local community via fuel-food-services purchased?

Optimistic Paranoid said:
The last three words imply that you are not going to get your face slapped.  Have things really changed that much since I was young?
Oh yes, yes they have.