Running van engine to Renogy solar charge controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf2koc

Reaction score
[font=arial, sans-serif]I'm planning to charge the battery by [/font]2[font=arial, sans-serif] of 120W solar panels during the day. But at night time with heavy loads (grilling, cooking, electronics with 12VDC from Power Hung, Road Warrior road products), will continue charging and using it in [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]realtime[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] it with the car engine on. Thinking of getting a 50A DPST toggle switch from the solar panel and car engine. I find that inverter is not too energy efficient and would like to keep everything in the 12-18 VDC domain. Is it possible to do that with the Renegy PWM-30? [/font]

first off welcome, don't take this wrong I not trying to scare you off but the short answer is, NO.
however you could just put a continuous duty solenoid in and charge your second battery straight off your alternator.
you do realize cooking/heating with electricity is very inefficient. you are going to need more solar and more battery. sorry to be a downer but have you run the numbers? what size battery? what is your total electrical use? we need more info. highdesertranger

Cooking and heating should not be attempted using battery power, fuel powered is a better choice.

I\ said:

I originally want to use the BTU gas but was concerned if I leave the cannister in the car too long, it may explode.
I like electric because it appears to be cleaner and flexible overall. I need to have an electric warm blanket on on for at least 6 hours
during the cold months (winter-spring). I found that leaving the car engine on along with the heater is not safe and causes unecessary
noise level (especially if parked in front of motel). I got spotted by security in the past and the car engine has to be off to reduce noise.

highdesertrangerfirst off welcome,  don't take this wrong I not trying to scare you off but the short answer is,  NO.
however you could just put a continuous duty solenoid in and charge your second battery straight off your alternator.
you do realize cooking/heating with electricity is very inefficient.  you are going to need more solar and more battery.  sorry to  be a downer but have you run the numbers?  what size battery?  what is your total electrical use?  we need more info.  highdesertranger

Just curious, what type of vehicle do you have?

Everything mentioned is in the power hog category, especially the cooler. Gonna need more battery and more solar for all that stuff

first off us with old eyes can barley read the second paragraph.
second you are using way to much electricity for your battery and solar.
that cooler alone will use 108ah a day. that electric blanket will use another 33+ah for every 5hrs of use, now add your cooking, and what about lighting and phone/computer charging. you will need to double your battery and add more solar. like I said cooking/heating with electricity is very inefficient. that cooler is also very inefficient. propane cylinders will not just spontaneously blow up. the worse thing that could happen is they can vent if you got them to hot or leak because of a defect. if it's cold enough to where you need an electric blanket your propane is not going to overheat and vent.
again I am not trying to bust your dream, I am just being practical. there are many here that carry a propane tank inside. I used to. if you where to drop the heating/cooking with electricity and use propane you just might have enough juice. with that cooler though you better hope for no cloudy days. I am surprised nobody else has responded. highdesertranger

oops Jay got in right before me. again there are many here with lots of experience at this we can help you along. highdesertranger

I agree about the propane. We carry them under the bed and even in Arizona heat have never had one leak. 
We cook on a one burner stove and use a 72 oz widemouth thermos as a slow cooker.

The key to living in a van is to use the right tool for the job. The right tool for cooking is propane unless you have a whole lot of solar and battery. 240 watts and two batteries isn't enough.

With 500 watts and 4 golf carts you can run a microwave and an induction stove top. But only if you are using a 12 volt compressor fridge. Your cooler/heater will be such a power hog it will be a problem even with that much solar.
Bob

With your suggestion, will choose the compressor fridge. Pricey but so is the health costs of spoiled perishables (meat, vegies, etc). There's one on Amazon for $322. Considering getting at least 450 Ah batt. It's a balance between car fuel cost and weight of these 90 lbs/batt.

For night time extended sleeping heating, I don't think propane is safe for indoor use. There's carbon dioxide. Don't want to risk it. Electric is probably the best choice.

Propane cooking products are very reasonably priced. Will go with that.

akrvbob said:
The key to living in a van is to use the right tool for the job. The right tool for cooking is propane unless you have a whole lot of solar and battery. 240 watts and two batteries isn't enough.

With 500 watts and 4 golf carts you can run a microwave and an induction stove top. But only if you are using a 12 volt compressor fridge. Your cooler/heater will be such a power hog it will be a problem even with that much solar.
Bob

the first thing you need to do is to do the math and figure out how much power you need. then size the battery and solar to that. not the other way around. btw it's much better to have a sleeping bag to handle the cold then to try to rely on an electric blanket. that way if you ever have problem with the blanket you won't freeze to death. once you have a good bag you can use the blanket to pre-warm up your bed, but don't rely on it. highdesertranger

I use a Mr buddy mini heater when it gets chilly, it's quite safe, the ceramic catalytic type are safe to use indoors, and even has a low oxygen shut off. I use it every night and let the can run out. When the flame shuts off it closes the valve too it's great.

What if I use a super warm sleeping bag designed for those mountaineers who have to sleep completely outside in bone-chilling snowy and super freezing temp? Last time I checked they're quite expensive ($500-$1000). But it looks like I can get this as an alternative to electric heater. In either case both costs money. The super warm blanket route doesn't need battery replacement, charging solar cell, etc..

Anans1 said:
I use a Mr buddy mini heater when it gets chilly, it's quite safe, the ceramic catalytic type are safe to use indoors, and even has a low oxygen shut off. I use it every night and let the can run out. When the flame shuts off it closes the valve too it's great.

What if I use a super warm sleeping bag designed for those mountaineers who have to sleep completely outside in bone-chilling snowy and super freezing temp? Last time I checked they're quite expensive ($500-$1000). But it looks like I can get this as an alternative to electric heater. In either case both costs money. The super warm blanket route doesn't need battery replacement, charging solar cell, etc..

highdesertranger said:
the first thing you need to do is to do the math and figure out how much power you need. then size the battery and solar to that. not the other way around. btw it's much better to have a sleeping bag to handle the cold then to try to rely on an electric blanket. that way if you ever have problem with the blanket you won't freeze to death. once you have a good bag you can use the blanket to pre-warm up your bed, but don't rely on it. highdesertranger

you can pay that much for a sleeping bag but you don't need to. like this one, http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...53BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=sleeping%2Bbag . rated to -30 at 200 bucks. now I am not saying run out and buy this exact bag, shop around, there are literally hundreds of businesses selling sleeping bags. I am also not saying you don't need a heater to cut the chill, it's nice to be warm in the cold. what I am saying is don't rely on artificial heat sources, when you need them most they might not work. but a sleeping bag always works. highdesertranger

A good sleeping bag will let you survive, but is that all you want out of your mobile life?

Would you rather be warm, safe and comfortable?

If a van will only be a bedroom then just a good sleeping bag will be barely acceptable. If you want it to be a cozy, comfortable home you love to live in, I think you will want warmth, light, heat and power, just like you do in your stick and brick home.
Bob

True...Comfort should be a priority or you might quickly hate your life. A good bag for sleeping and some heat for lounging makes a van a comfy living space.