Running the 6kbtu ac with honda generator in eco mode

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicutie

Reaction score
So I've mounted my generator to a hitch cargo rack. Last summer i ran the ac just fine, just not in eco mode. If you don't know, eco mode on a generator is where it runs at a lower rpm when you don't need full power. (Quieter)

Anyway so the thing is, my ac unit will -run- in eco mode. But the compressor will only start in normal mode. So I've been researching how to smooth out the start up power requirement. I've looked up hard start kits and soft start units for the ac, I've looked at transfer switches, inverter chargers etc. 

So here is what I'm thinking. Tell me if this sounds crazy but i think it might work. What if i were to get a normal inverter and run the ac straight off the battery. Then take the generator and put a 50 amp battery charger on it. Running, the ac draws 500 watts on full blast. Which is something like 12v x 45a. So my thought is that, this would be a very round about way of poweringthe system via generator and letting the battery inverter handle the spike of the compressor kicking on. And the side benefit would be that if it clicks off, the batteries would continue charging.

I do need a real inverter at some point anyway, I've been getting by with a 150w cigarette lighter mini inverter for some time now.

Battery wise I'm running 2x deka gc110's and have 200w solar.

Just an idea, any critiques appreciated. I'm not too worried about minor inefficiencies as worst case I'm already getting 6hrs of ac per gallon of gas. I mainly just want the generator to run quieter and cooler.

What size generator?

I have an Energizer eZV200P 2000 watt peak / 1600 watt continuous generator. It runs my 5K BTU window unit with no problems in eco mode. That is the compressor starts with no problem.

I have the Frigidaire FFRE0533S1 5000 BTU window unit. It has the lowest power consumption of any I could find. The max it uses is 410 watts, it has a soft start and an ECO mode that doesn't run the fan when cycling, except for 20 seconds every 10 minutes. When in cool mode and cycling the fan runs and uses about 65 watts. When the compressor kicks on it uses about 335 watts and very slowly raises until it gets to 410. Once it gets to 410 it typically only runs for a short time and then cycles.

https://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Air-Conditioning/Window-Mounted-AC/FFRE0533S1/

The soft start that frigidaire lists in the specs doesn't say what exactly it is. When it starts only the fan runs and may very likely be what they are calling a soft start. Rather than something that reduces the compressor surge when starting.

I've watched videos of people installing the soft start in AC units and it worked.

I have a few years old Frigidaire 6kbtu unit that i got second hand last spring. I had just bought a thousand fricken dollar generator so i was saving money wherever i could. My dogs life is in the balance so i wanted a solid generator i could count on. I don't know the model, but my killa watt iirc reads around 450-500 with it Running full blast. I've thought of replacing it but de-installing will be a chore as i have it set in there, well, pretty permanently. I put it in the back window so it's a custom wood plate, sikaflex, black paint, the whole works. Honestly though my van is dark green so I'll take the extra 1kbtu!

I have the Honda 2200. I haven't done extensive testing to see how far short it falls in eco mode. The parts i need to get it Running off an inverter are looking to be reasonably affordable. No matter what way i go it looks like it's gonna be around the same price. As far as hard start caps go the smallest I've found for a decent one is 1ton. Soft start modules, if they are even made for such small compressors, run a couple hundred, same ball park for replacing this ac with a slightly smaller one plus wood and paint and caulk and screws etc, upgrading my electrical system is looking around 400 bucks but i get some additional benefits that way.

I've got other stuff to worry about first though. I at least got my generator and fuel tank mounted on the back today so that's one thing down. Lugging it out and chaining it to the axle every time i wanted to run it was getting exhausting...

I did some digging because I knew I've seen what you are looking for.

This is what you want. Supco SPP6 Hard Start Kit

There are 2 on Amazon. One is $11 and takes like 4 weeks to ship and the other is $30.

Here are two other options. One ships quicker for about $1 more total

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Supco-SPP6-Hard-Start-Kit-w-500-Torque-Increase-90-277V

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supco-SPP6...or-Starter-500-Compressor-Torque/232990131219

This guy has a 6K ac and honda 2000 generator

You can find many videos on YT about it.

A small generator trying to start an A/C compressor at idle will have a hard time doing it.

Yea, well the thing is, if you research deeper into that supco you find that there's a reason why it's only 11$

Latest posts