RTR/Desert Basics

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
Some friends and I were just talking about our observations of newcomers to the RTR/desert.  So, here are three ways for you to prepare for that new environment:

1) Drink lots of water.  It's dry and very easy to become dehydrated.  If it's windy, drink double.  The wind saps the moisture from your body.

2) Carry a flashlight with a hook or carabineer for hands-free use.  It'll be a new moon during the RTR and very dark, as in zero light to see by.  Be aware that headlamps, if worn when other campers are around, will shine in their eyes and will temporarily blind them.  If your flashlight has a red light, use it; you can see well enough to walk, yet won't blind others.

3) The ground is uneven, rocky.  There's also both shallow and deep washes that are sandy and brush-strewn that you'll need to walk through.  Wear shoes with support.  Use a walking stick if unsteady.  Avoid being someone who ends up on crutches.

Hope that helps someone who will be new to the RTR/desert.  Breathe.

Suanne ... enjoying the morning desert sun, drinking water.

Plus avoid laying stuff outside otherwise an unwanted legged visitor may come aboard. aka scorpion...they love the night time

What about mice, rats and other multi-legged critters (spiders, bugs, beetles, etc)?  
It's been years since I've been in the desert, having last lived in Moab, UT over 25 years ago, so I'm a little out of practice.  
I do remember finding the occasional scorpion in the house, or in a shoe, or maybe a really scary-large spider in my bed.  No mice though.  

While van camping in California, it was not uncommon to find spiders living under the sheets or somewhere inside the van.  Most, if not all, cars have vents for releasing the pressure caused by the AC/heater system, and bugs have a knack for finding them and gaining access to the interior of your rig.  

I'm wondering if this is also an issue with mice, scorpions and/or snakes while in the Arizona desert?  (esp. mice that are looking for food)

My brother lives in an area rife with mice and is constantly finding them nesting under his hood, in the trunk, and even inside the glove box or under a seat.  
He's had to install wire mesh over the air intake to the engine to keep the little buggers out of the air filter and EFI system.  

Is mouse/critter-proffing your rig a good idea while visiting the RTR?  Are mosquitos a big issue out there?  Currently I do not have screens for my doors.

I am trying to focus on those features of being in the Quartzsite desert during the RTR that are sure to exist (dryness/wind, dark nights, uneven walking) and that could cause harm if unaware and unprepared.

Bugs, reptiles and rodents have not been a problem at the RTR in my experience. It's winter, so reptiles stay down in their dens. I've only seen one spider in Nov., and no mosquitoes because it's so dry here. I've never seen a scorpion in Q.

Mice can get into your rig or engine compartment. I've only had one since the 2011 RTR. If concerned, carry a couple of spring or sticky traps. Avoid poisin so as not to get wildlife and domestic pets sick by eating the poisin or eating the mouse that injested the poisin. Prop your hood open to reduce the appeal of your engine compartment as a possible nesting location.

These are really unlikely to be issues. We can always imagine all kinds of stuff that could go wrong. Please do not let yourself go there in your mind. Arrive as prepared as possible, and be flexible enough to take care of the unexpected when it happens.

My take is that I am a guest in the desert. It belongs to the wildlife. I consider it an honor when I spy a critter in whose home I am dwelling.

Life is better than good out here!

Suanne ... anticipating another beautiful sunrise

BigT said:
What about mice, rats and other multi-legged critters (spiders, bugs, beetles, etc)?  
It's been years since I've been in the desert, having last lived in Moab, UT over 25 years ago, so I'm a little out of practice.  
I do remember finding the occasional scorpion in the house, or in a shoe, or maybe a really scary-large spider in my bed.  No mice though.  

While van camping in California, it was not uncommon to find spiders living under the sheets or somewhere inside the van.  Most, if not all, cars have vents for releasing the pressure caused by the AC/heater system, and bugs have a knack for finding them and gaining access to the interior of your rig.  

I'm wondering if this is also an issue with mice, scorpions and/or snakes while in the Arizona desert?  (esp. mice that are looking for food)

My brother lives in an area rife with mice and is constantly finding them nesting under his hood, in the trunk, and even inside the glove box or under a seat.  
He's had to install wire mesh over the air intake to the engine to keep the little buggers out of the air filter and EFI system.  

Is mouse/critter-proffing your rig a good idea while visiting the RTR?  Are mosquitos a big issue out there?  Currently I do not have screens for my doors.

Those vents are not for releasing pressure, but so you don't suffocate. These vents must not be blocked but a screening could be used to keep mice etc out.

There is no such thing as mouse proof, unless it is a sealed box made of metal. Your best bet is to secure your food in airtight containers. Not many containers will seal airtight including most plastic food containers that you buy in stores. I personally use plastic ammo boxes (purchased from harbor freight) to store anything in a bag. The best rule of thumb is from bear country, if they can not smell it they will not be drawn to it. Also sweep the floor and do basic dusting every day.

Personally I have a war with chipmunks as they love my protein shakes. I have scored some victories but I'm sure that when I get back to Colorado they will unleash their new plot for trailer domination. I may have to use harsh language.

Don't dump your piss bottle in the same spot every time! Ditto on the keeping food in sealed containers, tubs and coolers. Have mouse traps on hand for use at first sign.

I haven't been to RTR yet, but as a long time resident of Colorado I can add what I tell visitors: bring body lotion and Vaseline for your nasal passages. Bloody noses are common when you're not used to dry air, and between the dryness and wind, your skin will look like a lizard's (and can crack and peel, so the lotion isn't just for aesthetics).

Stretch said:
I haven't been to RTR yet, but as a long time resident of Colorado I can add what I tell visitors: bring body lotion and Vaseline for your nasal passages. Bloody noses are common when you're not used to dry air, and between the dryness and wind, your skin will look like a lizard's (and can crack and peel, so the lotion isn't just for aesthetics).

I'm from the humid tropics, so I have a hard time with the dryness. I have to put bandaids and triple antibiotic ointment on some of my fingertips every night. Usually one or more are cracked and sore. It usually clears up in the morning with the antibiotic, but I can't skip a day otherwise it just gets worse. Sometimes I even have to put bandaids on my toes.

And Chapstick helps for your lips.

Thanks for that info. Being a Buffalo NY native, when I went to Montana in 2013, I did have some issues with it being dry so I was expecting it. Thanks for the ideas to help with that. We spent a week in Tucson and I didn't notice any problems so hopefully I"ll be okay. I'll have to start drinking some extra water. Good to know about the insects. I was hoping there wouldn't be many. I am fascinated with insects but prefer them to be outside :) I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Ants. They are everywhere outside but not in my trailer. I try to eat bread items outside and sweep every day, this will keep the majority of pests out. Also if you have lemon grass oil and a squirt bottle you can spray on all parts that make contact with the ground. You should dilute the lemongrass oil and if you want to make it smell awesome add some vanilla extract. These are common ingredients in pet safe mosquitoe and bug sprays.

An easy solution for the headlight in the eye problem ( deer in the headlights?) is to just slide it down to your neck and wear it like a necklace. Points at your toes to see where you are going, doesn't follow your eyes when you look at someone. I agree, these new lights will blind you.

I had just got back from my walk @ 10:30 AM, sitting calmly outside my T-trailer.  It's been blowing ever since.  Good advice about getting hydrated, I'm on my 4th 20 oz coffee now at 12:50 PM.

We got a good rain today so be careful of where you drive. Sand and rocks can look deceivingly safe until you find out the water is just below the surface. Anything sitting in water is very slick.

Crave said:
Ants. They are everywhere outside but not in my trailer. I try to eat bread items outside and sweep every day, this will keep the majority of pests out. Also if you have lemon grass oil and a squirt bottle you can spray on all parts that make contact with the ground. You should dilute the lemongrass oil and if you want to make it smell awesome add some vanilla extract. These are common ingredients in pet safe mosquitoe and bug sprays.

I usually put a some sugar near the anthill and that keeps them busy. If you are there long term sprinkle dried grits around the ant pile, wait a while then water it and the ants will explode. Gross but effective.